Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running one of those great steering dampners on the Pugs? I'm really considering that purchase in the near future. Any one knows that the Large Marge / Endo set up also is prone to trail junk jitters, wondering how the Hopey would work on the beast.?

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
The Pug does not have problems with twitchy steering. I have a steering damper installed already, it's called a lot of trail and a 20psi or less Endomorph.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running 10psi front/ 11psi rear all season. What I'm getting at is that the bars still are prone to pull and an imput from the trail. Kind of like why when you put 38" monster tires on a truck, alot of of owners put on a steering dampner to calm down the extra imput from the large contact tire. The Pugs is in the same boat.. At least where I ride, the technical rock sections do just that.

$300 !!:nono: , you can buy direct from Hopey online, $229.95.

Main reason is I would like to drop the death grip in the technical stuff.. When I did the 24 hoursof SnowShoe, WV a few years back , there was a a fella, who was missing an arm. He had the Hopey on his bike and had no issue in the technical sections. I rode with him on a lap and was just amazed on how little his handlebars moved compaired to the battle that was raging on mine , with two hands on the bars ! This has to provide some kind of comfort. Very cool.

BTW, the Hopey is on the fly adjustable for your rate of damp, so you can tune it to your needs and temp.

Looks like I'll be the first on the Pugs to try it. I'll give a full report when I go this route.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordering mine today. Should have it next week. Holiday not the best time to have something shipped.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the holidays I'm not expecting the arrivial of the new Hopey till next week sometime . Oh well, sometimes good things take time . I will do a report and photo progress on the install once I have the merchandise. Then follow up with a ride report and thoughts.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
The Pugsley tends to track all over the place in soft snow, especially on climbs. Lately, on my rides I keep thinking "I wonder if I wouldn't have washed out there if I had a Hopey..." Also, more stability would be nice when riding those 12"-wide trails packed down by walkers.

I'm about ready to just order one myself.

** EDIT ** OK, I did just order one myself. Used a discount code at Cambria Bike, it came to about $200 US / $240 CAD with shipping.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm wondering if I should have ordered one yesterday w/ my other items from them?

Looking forward to some ride reports on this.

Just an observation, the pic on the Cambria site doesn't appear to have enough clearence for the stem to turn straight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checked out the pics off the Cambria Bike site, yep, definately not enough clearance, but then again, they are showing that weird stem, wonder where they found that one at? !!! And the Hopey dampener they are showing is one of the original style , not the current look. Different color and even the post has changed, they are now screw-in style. Go to the Hopey site to see the current color and design.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got an email from Tim Hopey yesterday, my dampener will be shipped on Monday, I should of did this before the holidays. Next week install.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopey is officially in the house. Off to the bike shop for the install tomorrow. I'll post some install pics later. Looks like a nice piece of hardware, very light for what it does. All machined and anodized. Sweet. Can't wait to go for the first test ride.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anthony.delorenzo said:
Still waiting for mine... It took Cambria 8 days to finally ship my order. Hopefully this week.
Hey Anthony, when you get your Hopey, Your dampener adjustment knob will be really tight, and make you wonder, Hmmmm , is this thing broken? Just get a good hold on the body and grabhold with a firm grip , twist with a counter-clockwise movement. You may be suprised of how much effort you may have to apply. Don't worry, it does break loose. I think Tim may have had alittle too much Wheaties the morning mine was put together. I'll be doing the change this morning. Oh, yes, don't look for a centering O-ring, you don't need one. Let me know what color anodizing yours is. Hopfully its the newer edition with the removable post and included steel bite posts. Post pics if you can.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:thumbsup: Hopey Installed, piece-o-cake to install. Tonight I'll post the pic's and sometime before next week , I file a ride report. Looks so cool and works like
B-U-T-T-E-R, smooth as silk.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pics,
The goods,

before I started, toughest job is the star fangled thing removal !

Measure the post for length

complete

Ready to ride, next is the ride report.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.