Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what all of you hope for in the new year...I'm not really talking equipment (like a 29er crankset :rolleyes: ), but personal goals and achievments..
Mine, well here's a couple...
1) Continue to try my darndest to be a better dad and husband..I'm a stay at home dad after working in a bike shop for almost 11 years, I miss the social atmosphere there and sometimes take it out on the family...they don't deserve it
2) Become more involved in the community, whether it's PTO, Little Leauge or just trail building..stop complaining and start doing...
3) Go a whole year with out ear infections...long story there
4) Come back from UBI with the knowledge of frame building, then realizing I need patience and it may take a while before I an hang my shingle out there..learn all I need to about welding...
5) Ride and race..yep , this is it, I just turned the big 4-0 and I'm ready to come out of retirement...god help me

What are your hopes?
Have a great holiday everyone!!

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
1. I am a husband and a dad too, so I can say that constantly striving to be great at both will remain number one on my list.

2. Either help our business re-invent itself (we are in a rough transitional period) or be fortunate enough to find something else I can be passionate about.

3. Realize that I really don't need anymore stuff for my bikes and break this vicious cycle of addiction.

4. Keep having fun riding, and do a few 12 and 24 hour races before July so I can be ready for the ORAMM. I have wanted to do this race for the last 2 years and it will be a personal milestone for me to say I did it.

5. Winning the Lotto would be nice. I guess making a commitment to actually buy lottery tickets would be the first step.

There. 4 Hopes and a Dream.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some bike related plans -- hopes and dreams is maybe a tad dramatic for this :)

1) Ride the crap out of my bikes
2) Go on a mountainbiking holiday, spend a week or two on some exotic singletrack
3) Do a 29er SS project, my first build from scratch
4) Learn to do a damned wheelie

·
bikerpilot
561 Posts
My goals are to:
1. Win the State MTB championship in my age group and category.
2. Move up to Expert in the fall.
3. Encourage and help my wife get back on the trails regularly so we can ride together and maybe even do a race or two. We started this weekend, and she had a good time and showed some promise, so that's a good start!

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Nice thread Toddre! Agree with you on 1, 2, and improvment in # 5.
1) Yep, be a better dad and husband. Figuring out a way to be more patient will help me a load in this category. (I'd love to become a stay at home dad too, or work only part time so things can get done at home while no one else is there instead of trying to get them done when I'd rather be with the family) Wife is the successful one!
2) For me it is community and church. Just getting more involved. Already coaching little kids soccer (5-6 year olds).
C) Find a way into the cycling or outdoor life industry in general. Just really, really tired of this gosh darn cubicle. Maybe learn to weld and make frames like Toddre is....
5) Just turned 43 and this is the first year I am trying to follow a riding/training/diet plan. Hope to improve my racing without losing the fun aspect. If I do, training is out and fun riding and racing is back in.
Y) Use my Zion and a trailer to run errands around town when the weather is decent.
Z) Teach my 5 y/o boy to ride without trainers, get my soon to by 7 y/o boy out on the trail and on the bmx track, find a way for my soon to be 13 y/o girl to enjoy riding more (she just learned last spring after a year of being with us), get my wife to enjoy riding for fitness and not worry about getting her off road.
Lastly) With all the trials of life, just continue to have a positive outlook and convey that to others.!

G

ooh, almost forgot, some Juicy Ultimates for my Supercal would be really cool!

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
got a few goals for '08...

1. finish my race/fun car early in the year
2. race(SCCA autocross)/have fun with my car once it's finished
3. build a FS 29er
4. start racing/competing with my mountain bikes
5. venture to other trails within a few hours, camp out, etc.
6. lose some weight

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Good Thread. Here are a few of mine:
1. Keep working on being as good a Dad as I can to my two sons, and be more of a father figure to my girlfriend's two daughters.
2. Become a board member for the youth hockey program my sons are involved in addition to my current coaching responsibilities.
3. Continue to work my way out of the debt that was caused by divorce (it is taking a long time, but there is light at the end of the tunnel).
4. Try and get in better shape.
5. Ride more
6. Be more charitable with my time and resources

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
1a. Practice more patients with my wife and daughter.
1b. Work on making my marriage better for both of us and our family.
2. Do better at work (always too much to learn, very stressful).
3. ride more, surf here less
4. ride more, worry less about my addiction to cycle (material things)
5. ride more for fun, eat better, lose weight with better decisions
6. worry less about trail figures, and more about the trail I'm on

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Another stay at home dad here. S.A.D.'s unite!

I like this idea. Makes one actually THINK about what matters and 'write' it down. We'll need a recap at the end of '08 though!

1. I'm taking that dreaded leap and starting my own shop. It'll be small, and family oriented, but the passion of cycling will be ever present. I hope I'm doing it right.
2. Like any father and husband, I could use a bit of improvement. I'd like to work on that one too.
3. I want to do more of the WEMS endurance series this coming year. I've done a few here and there in the past - but I want to do more. Probably 'just' the 6 hour ones. Starting a business and racing 12 hours races doesn't leave enough time for #2!
4. Take the girls out for more rides in the trailer. Nothing like pulling kids to get you into shape.
5. #4 includes getting my wife back out on the bike after having two kids in 3 years. She misses it, and I miss having her out there with me. She's my best friend, and best riding partner.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Can I come work for / with you? Not sure if you are in SE WI or not.:p I seriously need to get out of the cube life.:madman:

G

~martini~ said:
Another stay at home dad here. S.A.D.'s unite!

I like this idea. Makes one actually THINK about what matters and 'write' it down. We'll need a recap at the end of '08 though!

1. I'm taking that dreaded leap and starting my own shop. It'll be small, and family oriented, but the passion of cycling will be ever present. I hope I'm doing it right.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
toddre said:
Was wondering what all of you hope for in the new year...
5) Ride and race..yep , this is it, I just turned the big 4-0 and I'm ready to come out of retirement...god help me

What are your hopes?
Have a great holiday everyone!!
My goals...
To crush your hopes and dreams in the 40-49 class!

That and commute more, and hire an employee so I can spend more time with my family and less time working.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
1. Figure out a balance between racing XC and DH on the same weekends through January and February, and figure out how to balance those two with training for my biggest endurance event to date, which is March 1.
2. Related, make the time cutoffs and finish Vision Quest
3. Compete in a few NMBS races in gravity and/or XC
4. Decent showing at Sea Otter (will be my first time racing there)
5. Travel somewhere new to ride (have been to Whistler, Crested Butte, Durango, Moab, Fruita, Downieville, Kernville, St. George, Brianhead, Mammoth)
6. Attempt an 8 or 12 hour solo locally
7. Find a way to have more money :madman:

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Ridin'Dirty said:
3. Realize that I really don't need anymore stuff for my bikes and break this vicious cycle of addiction.
Amen to that!

Here's mine in no particular order
- be a better man, both in life and in my relationships
- connect with God on a deeper level
- quit surfing MTBR so much (see quote above)
- successfully finish a 6-hr endurance event on my 29er
- save $$ for a Top Fuel 69er (having both a 26" dual suspension and 29er hardtail I really like, I want ONE bike that'll do it all for me. Call me crazy, I like the Top Fuel 69er.)
- save money
- continue to develop my wife's newfound riding passion
- save money
- teach my two older children more about trail riding
- save money
- convince my youngest son he won't die when I remove his training wheels
- save money
- visit the beach more this year
- save money
- finish my masters degree with a decent GPA

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Be a better husband
Ride more
Take more and better pics
Work on creating passive income
Save $ for more of the above
Possibly find a fully 29 that is perfect for me.
Try to break my current hardtail (from riding it)
Not replace any part of my current hardtail or the frame till a part is broken or completely worn.

Not all in that order except the first.

·
Registered
671 Posts
well here it goes.

win masters worlds DH 35+ in france
make and sell 5 dh frames.
get thor off training wheels. razor scooter seems to be helping
spend more time with my dad and his projects
1/2 way out of debt, finish that off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts