Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for some new and lighter hubs to replace my heavy Da Bomb HS set. Hope XC looks like good value, but I'm wondering if they'll withstand "all mountain" riding by a 210 lb guy. Bulbs look sweet but are 50% more $, and I still read of freewheel issues now and then. (Rims are XM 321 if it matters)

Anyone got opinions on this?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope

I have been riding hope hubs since 95, rode all of them, ti-glide, biguns, XC, Bulb and theses have evolved alot since the early days, the past few years i have had no problems with the XC or the Bulb, both very good hubs. If you can afford to, go Bulb, these have bigger bearings and they will last alot longer before you have to change them.When you do have to change them, its easy, no tools required and bearings are standard so they are easy to get ahold of. I use bulbs on my trailbike and DH bike, for XC racing i would go for the XC to save some weight. I have used XC hubs on my dirt hardtail and no problems with that either. The adapter to go from 20mm to 9mm on the bulb is easy to interchange and does not compromise the stiffness of the hub.
I weigh 220lb for reference, i would however not recomend the XM321 rim for your weight for all mountain riding(or any riding), go 721 with bulbs and you get a wheelset thats bombprrof and lasts a long time. I know it will cost you more, but it will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sega said:
I have been riding hope hubs since 95, rode all of them, ti-glide, biguns, XC, Bulb and theses have evolved alot since the early days, the past few years i have had no problems with the XC or the Bulb, both very good hubs. If you can afford to, go Bulb, these have bigger bearings and they will last alot longer before you have to change them.When you do have to change them, its easy, no tools required and bearings are standard so they are easy to get ahold of. I use bulbs on my trailbike and DH bike, for XC racing i would go for the XC to save some weight. I have used XC hubs on my dirt hardtail and no problems with that either. The adapter to go from 20mm to 9mm on the bulb is easy to interchange and does not compromise the stiffness of the hub.
I weigh 220lb for reference, i would however not recomend the XM321 rim for your weight for all mountain riding(or any riding), go 721 with bulbs and you get a wheelset thats bombprrof and lasts a long time. I know it will cost you more, but it will save you money in the long run.
Thanks for the reply. A couple of points:

The XCs are listed at 200 gms front and 385 gms / 340 gms Ti rear. The Bulbs are listed at 215 gms front (QR version) and 375 gms rear (with Ti, IIRC). Not much of a weight saving, mostly a $ saving I reckon. The significant difference between them seems to be bearing size - and the bearings are replaceable anyway. For a 165# trail rider, I'd definately go with the XCs. Me, I'm still undecided.

sega, What's your beef with the 321s? They're scoring a solid 4.56 in the MTBR lists, and while 570 gms isn't super light, I've had no issues with them at all so far...

·
Registered
41 Posts
No I'm Spartacus said:
Thanks for the reply. A couple of points:

The XCs are listed at 200 gms front and 385 gms / 340 gms Ti rear. The Bulbs are listed at 215 gms front (QR version) and 375 gms rear (with Ti, IIRC). Not much of a weight saving, mostly a $ saving I reckon. The significant difference between them seems to be bearing size - and the bearings are replaceable anyway. For a 165# trail rider, I'd definately go with the XCs. Me, I'm still undecided.

sega, What's your beef with the 321s? They're scoring a solid 4.56 in the MTBR lists, and while 570 gms isn't super light, I've had no issues with them at all so far...
nah, the bulbs have 36 engagement points, the xc has 24. that's the main notable difference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bianchi4Me

sega said:
Actually both the XC and the bulb have 21 engagement points 3 pawl system, but the Bulb has a larger diameter system than the XC.
The two hubs sitting on my desk disagree. The Bulb has a 36 point engagement. The XC has a 20 point engagement, not 21 or 24. (As a side note, I've never seen a hub with an odd number of points..)

With the Bulb rear you get larger bearings and a faster engagement mechanism. For the front wheel the main difference is that the Bulb can be switched back-and-forth to a 20mm or QR configuration. If you don't think you'll need 20mm capability the XC front with the Bulb rear is a nice combo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bianchi4me said:
The two hubs sitting on my desk disagree. The Bulb has a 36 point engagement. The XC has a 20 point engagement, not 21 or 24. (As a side note, I've never seen a hub with an odd number of points..)

With the Bulb rear you get larger bearings and a faster engagement mechanism. For the front wheel the main difference is that the Bulb can be switched back-and-forth to a 20mm or QR configuration. If you don't think you'll need 20mm capability the XC front with the Bulb rear is a nice combo.
And Hope disagrees with you.

XC http://www.hopegb.com/voir_RH6XCT28H.html
Bulb http://www.hopegb.com/voir_RH6BL36HB15.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've notified them of their error

They just finished re-doing their website format so I assume they did a cut-n-paste job from one hub to another without modifying that spec.

If I get a chance I'll pull the cassette carriers off one of each model apart and post a pic of the drive rings. That way we can all play "count the teeth" and see if it is a 20 or 21 tooth ratchet for the XC. I'm only coming up with 20 clicks for a full rotation, but maybe they are counting the starting position as one point?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
bianchi4me said:
They just finished re-doing their website format so I assume they did a cut-n-paste job from one hub to another without modifying that spec.

If I get a chance I'll pull the cassette carriers off one of each model apart and post a pic of the drive rings. That way we can all play "count the teeth" and see if it is a 20 or 21 tooth ratchet for the XC. I'm only coming up with 20 clicks for a full rotation, but maybe they are counting the starting position as one point?
You build any mtb sets with the xc front/bulb rear combo? 165 pound rider, xc, no jumps. What kind of price range we looking at for db spokes and 717 or comparable rims? I've ordered from you before so I know what I'm "getting into", haha.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
advise against a Hope rear hub

NIS,

I had a set of Hope Bulbs built up with F219's a few years ago. The front is still going strong and seems it will spin forever. The rear got all FUBAR'ed when a pawl dislodged and stripped the teeth on the hub ratchet after one season of use. Lesson learned. Bought a King rear laced to a mavic 321. Only regret is thinking I would save money by going the Hope route instead of King. For the record, I go about 210 -215 and I don't think the Bulb is built for the kind of torque guys our size put out. Get the Bulb front and go King rear. If cash is an issue, go with an XT rear. No, not the lightest, but pretty bombproof and easy as h$ll to service.

The F219's and 321's make my Park truing stand redundant. Although they are heavier than a traditional XC rim I highly recommend them.

Best of luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.