Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cannot think that it will be too much longer before Shimano start handing out the licenses, they will basically have to or watch the new stuff not get as widely adopted as it could. Lots were waiting for the trickle down to XT and SLX, don';t think many expected it this soon to XT, farless SLX, but a lot of those people wants to pay $400+ for a rear hub, or wants a boring black hub.

So why even bother with upgrading to the new Shimano 12spd then when you're loosing the best advancement in the new stuff, Hyperglide+ :rolleyes:

Chris King in the same boat.

Just use an XD driver and a sunrace cassette :/

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,785 Posts
Cannot think that it will be too much longer before Shimano start handing out the licenses, they will basically have to or watch the new stuff not get as widely adopted as it could. Lots were waiting for the trickle down to XT and SLX, don';t think many expected it this soon to XT, farless SLX, but a lot of those people wants to pay $400+ for a rear hub, or wants a boring black hub.

So why even bother with upgrading to the new Shimano 12spd then when you're loosing the best advancement in the new stuff, Hyperglide+ :rolleyes:
^ exactly, there's no way I would give up the Shimano cassette just so I could have a Hope hub.

Either buy a different hub (there's plenty of other good options already) or wait until Hope offers it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,767 Posts
From Hope:

What's happening with Microspine?

We have been talking with Shimano ever since the new standard was announced. They stated that they would only offer it to OEM hub manufacturers and the hubs must be branded with the bike manufacturers name. They also said they would not release the licence to aftermarket hub manufacturers.
Looking at the wheels and hubs listed around the XT and SLX launch it seems that they are stating different rules to each manufacturer which is disappointing for us and our loyal customers.

We'll continue to lobby Shimano for the licence and keep you informed of any developments.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If that's really the case, that Shimano is only going to push for OEM, ala, buy a complete new bike if you want our new stuff, they can go fvck themselves. I haven't bought a complete new bike since 2004, always buy frame and maybe few other parts from manufacturer and then spec what I want. Also I hold onto bikes for a good few years, so I'll upgrade drivetrain and brakes over time, not buying a new frame just because someone says I need to to go faster and be a Gnarbro :skep:
I have 5 sets of wheels built around Hope hubs, they are great quality, great bang for buck, can get a set for about $300 F&R and a lot of the times you'll be lucky if you can even get a rear of other high end brands for that - I'm not willing to pay $600> to say I bought something made by over payed people in the US vs something made for a reasonable price in the UK or Asia.

From Hope:
What's happening with Microspine?

We have been talking with Shimano ever since the new standard was announced. They stated that they would only offer it to OEM hub manufacturers and the hubs must be branded with the bike manufacturers name. They also said they would not release the licence to aftermarket hub manufacturers.
Looking at the wheels and hubs listed around the XT and SLX launch it seems that they are stating different rules to each manufacturer which is disappointing for us and our loyal customers.

We'll continue to lobby Shimano for the licence and keep you informed of any developments.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, Shimano definitely lost a XTR groupset sale from me over these BS antics (but for Chris King vice Hope). It’s clear Shimano gives no [email protected] about the mtb’er who likes to modify and upgrade their bikes and is concerned about OEM sales only. The PB comments were funny about it being a very “Sony” mentality and I agree.
Microspline might be superior to XD, but they’ll never get in the same ring to find out if Shimano doesn’t license it to EVERYONE.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I was going to put a Shimano groupset on my latest build. The bike is all hope stuff.
Instead, I got the Hope hubs, but put a SRAM groupset on it.

Not sure what Shimano is doing, but they are really, really dropping the ball with the 12 speed stuff.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
To stick it up Shimano, someone with deep pockets should make a MicroSpline driver that fits Hope hubs, and brand it as "Nope" or as "No Hope" :eekster: :skep: :yikes: :devil: :ciappa:
That will teach them, force them to sell more cassettes. They will be begging for mercy in no time.

I'm not sure how this is going to play out, and I think it is in everyone's best interest to make these kind of standards widely available, but considering how limited the availability of the cassettes has been it is an overblown issue. If it is still hard to get freehubs for popular hubs in a year then it will be getting ridiculous, but I don't mind if Shimano wants to control the playing field while slowly introducing a new technology. Now that it is going to XT and SLX it would be nice if they would loosen up the strings a bit. DT, Mavic, i9, and their own hubs cover a lot of ground already but I would be pissed if I couldn't get a freehub for my wheels. Which I can't quite yet but Onyx is sneaking in the back door, kind of like White but with a different tactic using DT parts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.