Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a question for the masses that may have this set up already or may know off the top of their head,,, yeah right!. This is a mutil part question, so please bear with me as it will be my first attempt at a build.....

For the set up I am lacing Hope ProII hubs to mavic XC717 disc rims. Ok here are where my questions begin.....

Can that hub accept bladed spokes? I see looking at some hubs the spoke hole is slightly slotted on the hub to accept a bladed spoke (AC road hubs i looked at). I called Hope in Tx and talked to a "tech" but his response was, I dont think they are and was not helpful at looking for me, so I came here.

With that said, does anyone know what length the spokes need to be? I see there are a bunch of spoke calculators but I am not a math major with a graphic calculator, more of an abacus user.......so if anyone has that info handy, that would save me time so I can order the parts all at once instead of waiting for the rim, measure and order again.......

I think that wraps it up for the questions. I really apprciate in advance any help that can be given on this topic. I am looking forward to the build.

Gary

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Spoke lengths depend on every choice you make as a wheel builder. Use the DT Swiss calculator it usually doesn't lead astray. My LBS use it. The spoke choice affects the stretch in the spokes when assembled and therefore the length. If you use DT Competition and 12mm nipples, you get:

front le 261
front ri 263
rear le 262
rear ri 261

I can't vouch for these lengths for the wheel you're building.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks peter, didnt think of the dtswiss one. a couple of google results were a bit lengthy and without the produts, impossible. That dtswiss one is much easier and will help...

now if anyone has any idea about the bladed part of the question........ :idea:

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
garyr2548 said:
thanks peter, didnt think of the dtswiss one. a couple of google results were a bit lengthy and without the produts, impossible. That dtswiss one is much easier and will help...

now if anyone has any idea about the bladed part of the question........ :idea:
Depends on which bladed spokes you're talking about. Spokes like the Sapim CX-Ray and DT Aerolite will work fine, I've used both on Hope's. Others with a wider bladed width may not fit through the holes.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
As Larry says, those hubs (like all hubs) will accept the modern "bladed" spokes - stuff like Sapim CX-Ray. True bladed spokes (who uses those on a mtb?) need to have the spoke holes filed into slots.

As for spoke lengths, learn how to use a simple spoke calculator as incorrect information from others can lead to a lot of grief for you. Roger Musson's version is almost too easy to use. By the way, Roger lives near the Hope factory in the UK and he does a lot of work for them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Larry and Mike. Lookes at those calculators and thanks for the info on the spokes. Looking forward to helping out with my first build. My LBS mech is going to build them with me and teach me as we do it so I can learn so Im really looking forward to this. Thanks again!

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.