Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Hadleys really worth the extra cash. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
6 SPOT said:
Are Hadleys really worth the extra cash. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Not for me. Mine quit after 2 months. The main drive side hub bearing exploded into many, many pieces. Unfortunate, really, as it was a beautifully machined hub.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
The Hope Pro IIs are nice, well machined, quick engagement, but noisy. So far so good after about 400 miles.

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
I run Hope Bulbs on my RFX and Hadley's on my Spot. Both run great. I'm not sure I would pay more for the Hadley hubs if I was going to do it again. Both are on the louder than average side, but the Hadley's are much louder. I loved the sound when I got them but I will admit that I'm growing tired of it. It's a very distinct sound, kind of like bee's in a steel drum kind thing. For what it's worth, I have a set of Hope XC hubs on my wife's bike and they are going on 5 years without any service or any issues. Oh, and the Hadley Gold is much brighter than the Hope Gold if you care about that kind of thing.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
once again, asking the gomer pseudo-wrenches in here on hub advice is like asking Homer Simpson how to lose weight while still drinking beer and eating donuts.

check the WC DH and NORBA DH Pros, see what they run. durability and quality performance are at the top of their priority lists.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
So these sponsored pros, who get shiny bike bits handed to them free, and have a van full of spares and grease monkeys happy to install them and maintain the whole kit, are who we should ask to recommend bike parts? Even if they didn't like the part, they would still have to give you some marketing line about them. Those are the guys you are taking advice from??

Actually, it explains a lot. :D

Personally, all the people who have posted on the wheels forum about exploded Hadleys make more of an impression on me, but then I don't talk to many pros. :)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
...Hadley hubs are like Hope brakes....they run like a swiss watch if properly setup. The bearing preload on the Hadley is very finicky...a liitle too tight & the bearings are toast. The "exploded" issues are just that, overtightened bearing preload. Trust me, I learned the hard way :eek::blush::arf:

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
I'm thinking feedback from non-pros who pay for their gear gets a little more weight than advertisements from "spancered" pros, crazy as that sounds. :rolleyes:

I am looking at getting some new wheels, and this whole Hadley, CK, Hope, DTSwiss, etc. hub choice is littered with inconsistent feedback. Seems to be some recent Hadley problems that point to maybe something other than user error. CK costs bank and has mostly good feedback, esp. older CK hubs. Hope bulb/proII hubs seem to get good reviews in the bang for buck category. DT 240s seems to get mixed reviews from the light is right crowd.

I've been thinking about CK rear and ProII front for a build. I was going to go with Hadley F/R but the recent feedback, including seeing ignazjr's Hadley carnage, has me worried about that choice.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
cowDawg said:
I was going to go with Hadley F/R but the recent feedback, including seeing ignazjr's Hadley carnage, has me worried about that choice.
On top of that, I'm aware of the bearing preload issue. The bearing felt good out of the box, so I didn't touch it further. In my opinion, if they're going to run like a Swiss watch, the watchmaker should assure their precision before they leave the factory.

It's King or DTSwiss for me. Both have excellent hubs and equally as excellent customer service. I generally nod towards DTSwiss. I've been running some version or another of 240s Since 99ish now. They've been amazing. Plus, DTSwiss US hq is here in Colorado.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Sorry..............

........ to hear about rider's having breakage problem's with Hadley hubs ! :confused: I've had a pair of Hadley's on my 6" travel mtb for over a year and ride it on a regular basis and have experienced no problems so far ! I also am using Hope XC hubs on my xc bike and they've proven to be reliable for about a year and a half now ! Never owned Chris King or DT Swiss hubs , but someday maybe ! ;) TIG.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I have a set of 819s built with Hadleys and a set built with Hope XCs. No problems at all but the Hadleys have a MUCH quicker engagement that makes them much nicer to ride. I have the 108 point Hadleys. The new ones are 72 but feel very similar. Anyway, no issues with either set- they both spin fast and are trouble free.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Gravy Says .....

I talked to Gravy, (formerly of Gravy Wheels), a couple of years ago about hubs and he recommended DT Swiss 240's for my cross country/Marin riding style. Gravy has built and serviced a lot of wheels!!

Good luck

Kane

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
tscheezy said:
So these sponsored pros, who get shiny bike bits handed to them free, and have a van full of spares and grease monkeys happy to install them and maintain the whole kit, are who we should ask to recommend bike parts? Even if they didn't like the part, they would still have to give you some marketing line about them. Those are the guys you are taking advice from??

Actually, it explains a lot. :D

Personally, all the people who have posted on the wheels forum about exploded Hadleys make more of an impression on me, but then I don't talk to many pros. :)
nice try.

they aren't sponsored by Hadley. if you think they are, a simple call or e-mail to Hadley will clear that one up.

I'm surprised you didn't tell people to put me on "Ignore," Head Lemming. you're really on the High Horse these days.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
cowDawg said:
I'm thinking feedback from non-pros who pay for their gear gets a little more weight than advertisements from "spancered" pros, crazy as that sounds. :rolleyes:

I am looking at getting some new wheels, and this whole Hadley, CK, Hope, DTSwiss, etc. hub choice is littered with inconsistent feedback. Seems to be some recent Hadley problems that point to maybe something other than user error. CK costs bank and has mostly good feedback, esp. older CK hubs. Hope bulb/proII hubs seem to get good reviews in the bang for buck category. DT 240s seems to get mixed reviews from the light is right crowd.

I've been thinking about CK rear and ProII front for a build. I was going to go with Hadley F/R but the recent feedback, including seeing ignazjr's Hadley carnage, has me worried about that choice.
please count the number of people YOU PERSONALLY KNOW who have had Hadley problems.

IgnazJr is a hamfisted home wrench who doesn't know how to tune his kit. He's like the kids on PinkBike who take schitt apart and then don't know how to reassemble it. He talked about "engagement speed" and "standing up to slickrock climbs" as if either is an issue in real world riding.

score, Hadley 1 IgnazJr 0

someone above talks about "bearing preload issues" -- that's a laugher. CK hubs have an especial sensitivity to bearing preload and require constant attention to that preload if you actually ride your bike and don't use it simply to pose it for Homerland Upgrade Gallery pictures. conversely, I have been running Hadley hubs extensively for 3 seasons under heavy use and never have had a bearing preload issue. NOT ONCE. not a single problem, ever. can't say the same for CK parts that I've used and that friends have used.

score, Hadley 1 CK 0

look, it's your $$$, but don't stop to think that the Poseurs of Homerland represent a fair slice of the MTB riding public. the number of Homers who actually ride their bikes enough to make quality and durability matter probably can be counted on 2 fingers.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
gonzostrike said:
He talked about "engagement speed" and "standing up to slickrock climbs" as if either is an issue in real world riding.
What is that supposed to mean? That "real world" riders don't climb Slickrock? WTF?:skep:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.