Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up my first 29'er. I had planned to go with Martas, but have since done an about-face, and am looking more carefully at the new Hope options. I'm posting today to ask for some input on which option would be the best for what I'm looking for.

I weigh 82 kg, or 180 lbs, and ride cross-country trails. The bike will be a fully-rigid single speed in the fall and winter and a geared, suspension bike in the spring and summer. I'd like to use Paul's Thumbies on it.

Here are the options I'm kicking around:

- X2 183/160 (geared), 160/160 (rigid - the fork won't accept a rotor larger than 160 mm) with braided housing and floating discs

- X2 180/160 (geared), 160/160 (rigid) with braided housing and Scrub rotors - so long as there are no compatibility issues with the Scrub 180 mm rotors and the Hope 183 calipers)

- V2 with braided housing and floating discs

- Mini X2 Pro with braided housing and floating discs

- Mini X2 Pro with braided housing and Scrub rotors

I'm happy to consider other options, but I'm pretty confident now that the Hope systems are what I'm looking for. I've scanned (and scanned and scanned...) this and other forums for information, and, as many of you know better than I do, there is no shortage of options and opinions on these matters. Also, as some have recommended, I'm happy to consider using a non-uniform system on the bike (i.e. one model for the front brake and another for the rear).

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
It seems really strange that all of a sudden, people are deciding between X2's and V2's, seemingly confusing them. The X2 is the Mini replacement, for XC. The V2 is way on the other side of the spectrum, up there with the Magura Gustav. I have pics somewhere in my gallery of the size difference between the Mini and the V2 when someone well over a year ago thought the V2 was a mini body with bigger pistons.

Anyhow, with your choices, the odd man out is the massively powerful and fade resistant V2. If you want all around braking from xc, to enduro, to mountain runs, you'd likely want the M4 in there. The V2 doesn't fit in the category of the X2 and the X2 Pro.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

That helps a lot. You just made my choice that much easier. Any thoughts on the differences among the other options? There is a thread not long ago that discussed the benefits of a floating rotor versus a fixed rotor. Does that equation change when the Scrubs are used?

I appreciate your help, Jerk Chicken.

Dan

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
danwerle said:
Thanks.

That helps a lot. You just made my choice that much easier. Any thoughts on the differences among the other options? There is a thread not long ago that discussed the benefits of a floating rotor versus a fixed rotor. Does that equation change when the Scrubs are used?

I appreciate your help, Jerk Chicken.

Dan
Why the sCruBz? That'll put your cost at way, way, way up there for little benefit outside of saying "me rotorz weigh only 56.443399913g each". Spend the $300 on your wife or chick...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post, SST.

The weight savings and bling factor are both appealing, but more importantly, I'd really like to support a domestically-based (I'm in the US) upstart. Chris seems to really have his head in the game, has thought long and hard about the development of those rotors, and has tested the dickens out of them. Like just about anyone else who considers buying them, the cost gives me pause and there are anecdotal reports that they don't like wet, rainy conditions very well (I'm moving to the Pacific Northwest soon).

On a side note, my wife would really appreciate your line of thinking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.