Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone compare hope tech x2 vs the formula k24, i am assuming the formulas are lighter, but what about power and modulation?

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
the K-24 is more of an XC type brake system. If this is going on your WFO, step up to the newer series of Formula brakes that offer a 24mm piston and the larger style R1/ The One/Mega brakepad style, which has about 50-60% more braking material per pad, as well as better modulation.

The best way to install and adjust them is to put as close as possible the same thickness feeler gauges between the rotor and on both pads at the same time... ie .006 or .008 or whatever it takes, as shim stock, without pressing the brake lever, and cinch the 5mm bolts tight in that position, then remove the feeler gauges. Make sure the feeler gauge metal strips have no oil on them, ie, you didn't just go check the valves on the head of your car/motorcycle with them recently, etc, before using them on your pads, you don't want to contaminate your brake pads with oil.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya know i did look into the formula the ones they would look nice on my ride, but they are expensive, thats why i was looking into the k24..im looking into some 2010 hope tech x2, they look a bit more blingy, and should be pretty good....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Get the right Formula

The K24's are discontinued, but still available. The R series and the new 'One's' have eliminated the pad contact adjuster (pca). The pca was there to balance out the differences in when the pads contact the rotors caused by the length of hose between the front and rear caliper.

They are all excellent brakes. If you live in America you should by Formula's because they have excellent customer service. If you live in England (home of Hope) you might want to go with the Hope's. They are all excellent brakes.

I own the 08 'One's' and let's face the facts. They are the best brakes on the market and not inexpensive. But they cost the same or less than the big Hope's and they are gorgeous. Other than normal maintenance (pads and replace a bent rotor), they have been trouble free. I just replaced the fluid in the line, so they stay that way.

Most of the chest beaters online, whine about whatever brakes they are using when they don't have a clue about maintenance.

Cheers,

kane

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
That is awesome, claiming 'fact' from personal opinion, and something that is provably false.

You obviously do not have access to pricing from Formula. They are significantly more expesive than any other brand.

Formula prices without rotors or adapters are nearly the same price as Hope brakes (used as a comparison because they are worst case scenario for my arguement..ie they generally more expensive than other options) with rotors and adapters.

If you add rotors and adapters from Formula, the Formulas end up being about $50 to $80 more expensive per wheel.

Lastly, if you had any experience with Hope USA, you would know that they are VERY helpful people that have plenty of spares, and are more than willing to help out if needed.

It is great that you prefer Formulas, but lets at least use a little logic and fact rather than emotion and untruths to 'prove' their superiority. Looking at your post history, it seems all you do here is blindly cheer for Formula and blame and call names when ever someone mentions ANYTHING negative about their personal experience with Formula (either products or CS/distribution).

It is pretty apparent that you are neither fair, level headed, nor unbiased about this subject. Do you get paid by Formula USA, or just zealously trying to justify your purchase?

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
its a shame you cant try before u buy, ive had formulas on a old sintessi and all they did was leak, i went back to xt v brakes.
on my cannondale ive had juicy3`s and they were ok but not the best, good oem, now ive got a tech m4 on the front and its perfect i can dial it in when i want it gentle or touch it and stop quicker than a car, it does everything, for me it is the ultimate caliper,some may say its poor but all the brake has done over the past 1month in rain mud and snow of yorkshire is work 110% for me.ive had my hope on now for 9 months and not touched it at all still works as it did when new,whats with the bleeding and pampering the thing,pad wear out change them, disk dies buy a new one, every year change the fluid like in a car.unless u cook the fluid.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Have run Hopes for decades, or at least have some of the very early versions, then tried a few sets of Formulas. The Formulas were a better brake, but then again I was comparing old tech to brand new at the time. Fast forward to today and the Formulas need service a year after they were placed in service. The pad retaining pin is made out of a soft alloy and snapped upon removal. I was able to remove the threaded section of the pin without any damage to the brake. Once Out I noticed that the helicoil placed in the caliper was not set correctly locking the pin in place. Of course I could buy a new pin, but the brakes needed additional attention as well. Replacement Formula brakes have priced themselves out of the market with current offerings. The Puro brakes were nice, but mfg quality process could use a bit of attention. Needless to say that without a viable option over at Formula fixing the defect they will not likely find there way back onto my bike in the near future. BTW the new Hope X2 look and work great.

·
Registered
863 Posts
zkampyman said:
The K24's are discontinued, but still available. The R series and the new 'One's' have eliminated the pad contact adjuster (pca). The pca was there to balance out the differences in when the pads contact the rotors caused by the length of hose between the front and rear caliper.

They are all excellent brakes. If you live in America you should by Formula's because they have excellent customer service. If you live in England (home of Hope) you might want to go with the Hope's. They are all excellent brakes.

I own the 08 'One's' and let's face the facts. They are the best brakes on the market and not inexpensive. But they cost the same or less than the big Hope's and they are gorgeous. Other than normal maintenance (pads and replace a bent rotor), they have been trouble free. I just replaced the fluid in the line, so they stay that way.

Most of the chest beaters online, whine about whatever brakes they are using when they don't have a clue about maintenance.

Cheers,

kane
Disagree.....

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had Hope Mini's of old. Problem free great modulation although somewhat lacking in brake power. I did say old mini so todays Hope may be fine and I do like Hope products. Love my Hope Pro 2 single speed hubs.

I ride a 29er single speed and put the Oro K24's on about three months ago. Best stoppers I have ever ridden. Totally squeal free wet or dry. They play very nice with my Alligator Windcutter 160mm rotors. The only negative I have heard is the eat pads so I stocked up on Alligator sintered pads from Pricepoint for $7.98 a set. BTW still on my first and stock pads and they still have plenty of live left. Didn't hurt that the Formula's where pretty cheap via Ebay and Rocky Mountain Cycles!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I had Hope Mini's of old. Problem free great modulation although somewhat lacking in brake power. I did say old mini so todays Hope may be fine and I do like Hope products
Use carbon levers from Mini Pro - it would help. Friend of mine tested this and he enjoy after change very much.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I've never owned any Formula brakes, although word on the street is that they're great. I got my first set of Hope's (X2) and they are freakin awesome in everyway, except i haven't sorted out a squeaking on initial application when wet problem....but others say they have no such issue, so I'm sure I need to do a bit more tweaking. The other trait I notice about the Tech levers is that while the lever itself is not long, the MC body is bulky so the clamp has to be pushed way inboard on the bars to get the lever in the same position relative to your grips. With my setup (Syntace Alu riser DH riser bars trimmed to 660mm) I wish I could move the levers just a tiny bit further toward the center... but that's a pretty specific to me niggly complaint.
The adjustability, lever feel, power, and modulation is fantastic... so much better than the Avid's I've used.
Not what you asked for but hopefully will help.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have some 2009 X2s and my brother has some 2008 K24s. Both are on SS 29ers and both are solid. the Hopes feel more solid when you really grip the brakes but the formula may have smoother modulation. both are great and i am looking at some k24s for my next bike cause the price is right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought Formula K24 and I'm loving them. I really like the modulation it offers. I run juicy 7's on my other bike and Formula is the clear winner. I have not used hope brakes though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You are right.

davep said:
Lastly, if you had any experience with Hope USA, you would know that they are VERY helpful people that have plenty of spares, and are more than willing to help out if needed.

It is pretty apparent that you are neither fair, level headed, nor unbiased about this subject. Do you get paid by Formula USA, or just zealously trying to justify your purchase?
Dave's right, I really like Formula brakes. I used to work in a bike store and you develop your preferences. What I said, referring to Hope and Formula,
"They are all excellent brakes."

My experience and the common experience of people using Formula brakes was that the customer service was the best that I have experienced. I also implied that the problems that most people have with their brakes was maintenance issues that were self inflicted. I hold myself to be a terrible mechanic and I let my more talented colleagues do brake and shock maintenance.

Cheers,

Kane

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
a little late to the party, but i've just put some x2's on my bike after having k24's previously. my impression is that modulation is pretty equal, power leans towards the x2's but that may be a feeling due to the lever having a more firmer feel than i ever had from the k24's. both reach and bite point adjustments work and allow for a great personalized setup. the only downfall of the x2's so far is the rear is noisy. i know this can be due to several factors and i'm working on trying to get it narrowed down, the k24's never made a sound.

imo you can't really go wrong with either. both are high performing brake systems that work great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts