Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm going to put in an order with speedgoat shortly for a Moots seatpost. I thought I might go ahead and change out my skewers which I've been meaning to do for awhile. I've always liked the Hope skewers as they seem to be the most bombproof out there. I'd like some feedback on the strength of these skewers and if anyone knows how well the hold in the rear facing dropouts of the Moto Grande fork.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh! Should have searched, sorry! I thought I kept up with the threads on here a bit better. Thanks TR :)

I've got XT's, looks like I better buy the post and call it a day.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had no problems at all with mine. I am running the Salsa fork(which is great too) and Hope skewers and have no issues, clamps nice and tight, no worries. I used to have a Salsa skewer on it and it liked to pull itself out of the dropouts under hard braking, I never trusted that it would hold tight, no matter how much you tightened it.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
I have had my hope skewers for over a year on my rigid bike. They suck. They come loose at times and are a PITA to get off if one actually closes it tight enough not to come loose. I would not buy them.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Rainman said:
I've never had a single problem with my Hope skewers coming loose. You can crank 'em down hard and they never move.

R.
Sounds like you are in the minority and have been lucky Rainman.
Thing is you should not HAVE to "crank them down hard"
Due to the cam mechanism in the Shimano skewers there is never a need to do this, and they still dont come loose and are not a PITA to get to release.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I commented on the last thread

and I figure I would add a little to this one. I lubed the lever on the skewers (I had done this before but it had been awhile) and they are much easier to close nice and snug and get them back open. So I figure as long as I put a drop of lube on there every once in awhile they should work just fine. But I think if I did buy another set I'd probably look else where.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I have like 5 Salsa QR's. Love the way they look. They work fanfreakin'tastic on the road and CX bikes, but they just lack the omph! on Disc brakes. I bet the hopes are the same or close. For disc brake applications, I ONLY use Shimano cam QR's. They just hold tight. XT, LX, XTR, what ever, they all work great. I'd rather keep my teeth in my mouth. And Shimano QR's let me do that with confidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.