Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue when installing my RF Turbine Cinch Crankset where i can only get to ~half of the 50nm before the crankset is too tight and won't spin.

My frame is 73mm BSA. The crankset has a RF136 spindle (30mm).

I installed Hope's 68/73 BSA BB w/ with one 2.5mm spacer on the drive-side as described in their installation guide: https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/BBSS30N-Instructions_Complete_Iss-2.pdf

I installed each of the two RF dust caps on each side. I also hand-tightened the preload bearing until it hits the crankarm. When I go to tighten the drive-side crankarm (8mm bolt), I can only get about 20nm before the crankset is too tight and won't spin freely.

I'm at a loss. Nearly certain I've followed the instructions correctly.

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the RF dust caps - they don't appear to fit correctly between the crankarm and bottom bracket. I do install them with the writing facing outside (as described).

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just re-read the hope installation guide. They have a note that says "Hope BB’s allow cranks to fit directly in the bearing inner race, not through a plastic bush."

So would the RF dust caps considered a 'plastic bush'?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,371 Posts
You're missing the order of the installation.

You don't tighten the preload ring until AFTER you've tightened the crank bolt to the proper torque.

Hopefully doing it in the order you have hasn't resulted in mashing the plastic adjuster. Loosen that thing as much as you can, tighten the crank bolt according to the instructions, and then adjust the preload ring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Can i clarify? The instruction says to screw the preload until it touches the crankarm (i.e. screw in). I also leave the screw loose on the preload. My understanding is that after you tighten the crankset, then you effectively back out the preload to get rid of any space.

So, i'm not tightening the preload before tightening the 8mm bolt.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,371 Posts
Thanks for the input. Can i clarify? The instruction says to screw the preload until it touches the crankarm (i.e. screw in). I also leave the screw loose on the preload. My understanding is that after you tighten the crankset, then you effectively back out the preload to get rid of any space.

So, i'm not tightening the preload before tightening the 8mm bolt.
If that's how you're doing it, then it sounds like you need to remove a spacer.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.