Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
You guys are making me nervous. I just got a set put on my bike. How did you lock your levers? Up or sideways?

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Up. It came completely loose once. It needed tightening, yesterday.
Spooky. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll lock it back instead of up, or down even. Thanks for heads up.

_MK

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Interesting. I got the impression a few people on MTBR liked the Hope skewers better than the Salsas, the Singletrack thread has quite a lot of people who've had problems.

I've tried the Salsa, Mavic and now Hopes on my 5 Spot (rear only) and never had a problem with them comming loose. I always make a point of pump-closing my skewers though: Tighten, close, open, tighten more, close...repeatedly until I can just barely get the cam closed. Maybe that's overdoing it? There are some things I just accecpt as requiring adddional attention.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Interesting. I got the impression a few people on MTBR liked the Hope skewers better than the Salsas, the Singletrack thread has quite a lot of people who've had problems.

I've tried the Salsa, Mavic and now Hopes on my 5 Spot (rear only) and never had a problem with them comming loose. I always make a point of pump-closing my skewers though: Tighten, close, open, tighten more, close...repeatedly until I can just barely get the cam closed. Maybe that's overdoing it? There are some things I just accecpt as requiring adddional attention.
The rear skewer has never come loose. Only the front seems to be an issue.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hope/Salsa/XTR

Had all these on the Turner; Hope - least comfortable to crank down and can feel very stiff (brass bushing?), Salsa - more comfy and easier to crank down (I also do what 'Zilla does), old XTR - easiest to tighten and most trust-worthy (just doesn't loosen). I sold my Hopes and now use only Salsa and Shimano (mainly the old shiny and cheap ones - they just work!). Salsa look blinger though :^)

Front is now a Mav - excellent system!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.