Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Hope introduced the Pro4 I haven't been able to pop the green seal on the driver in with my fingers. I ruined one the other night trying to push it in with a screwdriver.
I bought a couple of new ones and was installing it this morning and got the same result. Wouldn't go in.
I went to Home Depot and bought an 1 1/4 PVC pipe coupling to use as a driver tool. One light tap and the seal was seated perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ever since Hope introduced the Pro4 I haven't been able to pop the green seal on the driver in with my fingers. I ruined one the other night trying to push it in with a screwdriver.
I bought a couple of new ones and was installing it this morning and got the same result. Wouldn't go in.
I went to Home Depot and bought an 1 1/4 PVC pipe coupling to use as a driver tool. One light tap and the seal was seated perfectly.

I used the same. Works fine. The ring on the Pro4 is hard to seat.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
PVC pipe makes for versatile tools.
Pressing in seals...like fork seals ( or these Hope hubs)
Pressing bearings in and out.
Pressing a headset race onto a steerer.
The list goes on....
Cheap and effective.

·
turtles make me hot
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I've been making piston ring squaring tools out o PVC pipe for many years. Works perfectly and the price is right.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Nice! I've got the Pro4s, so this is a welcome tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have the Hope tool. I just cleaned my Hope 4 rear hub last night and couldn't push the seal on by hand with the tool. I watched a video from Hope and they showed the technician lightly hammer on the tool. That worked for me.

great to know that there is a PVC size that fits too.

As an aside, I was also trying to clean my Hope 2. I could not pull the freebody off by hand. With the cassette on partway, I still couldn't pry it off. It took the two screwdrivers twisted between the cassette and the body of the hub to get the free body off.

There was some corrosion on the axle where the bearing site. Some steel wool helped get it off.

·
turtles make me hot
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ Yep. They are tough to remove as well. It does do a better job of keeping dust out of the grease than the Pro2's though.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,343 Posts

Wait... 1 1/4" PVC? Are you seating the seal by driving the 'tool' on the shoulder of the actual freehub body?

I've measured my Hope Trials/SS hub as just a titch under 1 1/2" at the green seal.
The hub isn't old enough to need to be torn into, but I swear I read elsewhere that 1 1/2" PVC was the ticket, to actually contact the green seal. That's how the fancy Hope tool looks to work.

·
turtles make me hot
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait... 1 1/4" PVC? Are you seating the seal by driving the 'tool' on the shoulder of the actual freehub body?

I've measured my Hope Trials/SS hub as just a titch under 1 1/2" at the green seal.
The hub isn't old enough to need to be torn into, but I swear I read elsewhere that 1 1/2" PVC was the ticket, to actually contact the green seal. That's how the fancy Hope tool looks to work.
Yep. 1 1/4". I just measured it. The ID of a 1 1/4" PVC coupling is 1 5/8". It fits perfectly over the freehub.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice tip thanks

Nice tip thanks
saved me buying the tool or ruining the seal
neil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get the old seal in with my fingers but I bought some new ones from a reputable shop online and I can't get it to seat properly with my fingers. I noticed that the new ones I bought are a hair larger than the original that came on the hub. I'm wondering if they are knock offs and if they're worth trying to install with the tool. I know pvc works but I ordered the tool anyway. Waiting to hear back from the retailer and hope tech to see where the seals came from and if a slight size difference will cause any issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.