Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, swapped the freehub body to an XD driver on a 2014 40t rear hub. My question is whether or not the drive side, outermost spacer is a different width between the two hub standards? With the XD driver, my chain is rubbing on the inside of the stay and hangar - it's like it needs to be spaced 2-3mm more. The only thing I can think of is that the spacers are a different width and we didn't pay attention to which one was which when it was swapped. I didn't find any info on hopetech's site.

Any help is appreciated.

20140418_213449.jpg

20140418_213506.jpg

·
Sconie
52 Posts
I did the same swap last night, XD Driver to new 40T hub. I noticed the end caps were different. They both measure 19.5mm in width, but the one on the right is the one that came with the XD driver.

I haven't fit it to the frame yet so I can't speak for the chain clearance. photo-2.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the different end caps aren't letting the cassette bottom out on the hub but instead it is bottoming out on the end cap causing the clearance issue. I hope my shop has the right end cap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious, should you install the XO1/XX1 cassette without the endcaps on the hub? If so, then I've got the wrong endcaps as mine have to be on first.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it sorted. The cassette goes on first then the endcap. Clearance is good now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
How did you figure it out? I didn't do mine this way and has been working fine, but when removing the xo1 cassette it is difficult with the end cap on as the tool doesn't go deeply into the splines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew the endcap was in the way when installing the cassette, so I pulled it off and then installed the cassette. Once the cassette was on, the endcap popped on with no problem. It comes on/off without issue now but, it sure didnt when I tried it before.

Here is a picture of the endcap that goes with the Hope xd driver for 142x12.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks, these forums are great. I have been worried about removing the cassette, as it was so difficult with the end cap in the way.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your endcap look like mine? I agree, the cassette removal tool fits much better without the endcap in place.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes it does, it may be hard to remove(cap)with the cassette in place. I am sure I will figure that out when the time comes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'll provide some resistance, but it will pop out with tr100 he cassette in place.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It'll provide some resistance, but it will pop out with the cassette in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts