Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have both of these and can't tell a difference. With the thru-bolt conversion you will need to buy a thru-bolt as well. I'm using the one from Hadley.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
About a horse a piece for stiffness. The two work on the same basic concept, i.e. bolting the hub into the drop outs. The only difference is the thru-bolt requires a separate full length thru bolts as Glynis27 noted. While the bolt up conversion comes with the bolts that are simply threaded into the axle. The thru bolt system will handle a bit heavier torque than the bolt up, but that's about it. The stiffness is primarily a function of the axle itself. The axles being the same size, they'll yield about the same stiffness.

Good Dirt

686 Posts
Do you just use the hope 10mm end caps, or have that axle sleeve shown in the pictures on the link too? I've just realised my front, using the 10mm hadley axle too, is only supported with the end caps, no axle shell/sleeve inserted in. Is that....not good?

Glynis27 said:
I have both of these and can't tell a difference. With the thru-bolt conversion you will need to buy a thru-bolt as well. I'm using the one from Hadley.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Do you just use the hope 10mm end caps, or have that axle sleeve shown in the pictures on the link too? I've just realised my front, using the 10mm hadley axle too, is only supported with the end caps, no axle shell/sleeve inserted in. Is that....not good?
Yes the Hope system uses the axle in both kits. But keep in mind the links that thrasher_s provided are for the REAR hub, not the front. For the front you have the choice of 9mm TA, 9mm QR, 15mm TA or 20mm TA. For the most part the only thing inside the Hope front hub are the spacer tube, bearings and end caps. The end caps are supported on the bearings, same as the Hadley. All Hope front conversions use just the end caps like the Hadley and they work just fine. Not to worry. The front hub doesn't take quite the beating that the rear does.

Good Dirt

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Front is 9mm, not 10.

The Pro II end caps slide into a large diameter axle "shell." Once clamped in the fork they are all very solid.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ran the 10mm bolt up for quite a while. The bolts Hope supplies tend to be soft, and the allen heads deform over time. They never quite stripped out on me, but each time I removed an reinstalled, the allen wrench fit a little bit looser. I'd hate to have to deal with it on the trail if it did strip out. Through axle might be the most reliable and easiest way to install it, with say a DT RWS skewer for tool free removal.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
KrisRayner said:
Ran the 10mm bolt up for quite a while. The bolts Hope supplies tend to be soft, and the allen heads deform over time. They never quite stripped out on me, but each time I removed an reinstalled, the allen wrench fit a little bit looser. I'd hate to have to deal with it on the trail if it did strip out. Through axle might be the most reliable and easiest way to install it, with say a DT RWS skewer for tool free removal.
The bolt use a standard threading (don't know off the top of my head) and can be replaced with better bolts for very cheap. Just ask the guys with the Hope SS hubs who've had the same problems with the same soft bolts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
To the OP, never used the through version, but my bolt-on has worked very well for the going on 3 years I've had it.

Exactly, I wouldn't even recomend wasting your time with the bolts Hope provides, they're absolute shite, go straight to a hardware store and buy a good, deep head bolt and be done with it. It's an M8, can't remember the pitch, but just take it into the store with you so you can show them the pitch and length.

boomn said:
The bolt use a standard threading (don't know off the top of my head) and can be replaced with better bolts for very cheap. Just ask the guys with the Hope SS hubs who've had the same problems with the same soft bolts
KrisRayner said:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.