Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many reviews, where users are very satisfied with their Hope Pro II hubs.

So I decided to get one wheelset with Pro II hubs. Now my riding buddies with DT Swiss 440
mega expensive hubs nearly laugh at my new wheelset. They said, that the springs in the rear hub doesn't
last long and I should always carry spare springs. Are the springs really a problem ?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I haven't had any problems. I think your friends are just making fun of you for spending less than they did.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Carry spare springs? Really? You should tell them to keep a spare star ratchet because, you know, "IF" it ever went, they'd be screwed. Not that it ever will, but then again, all 4 of your pawls springs will never break at once either.

The springs break, yes, eventually. However, if you spin your freewheel REALLY slow (by hand), you can hear the pawls clicking one at a time. Do that once in a while, when you only hear 3 (or 2, or 1) then you have a (few) busted spring(s). I love the 440s, but at their price, come on ... the Pro II are just as good (ignoring the possible weight advantage, the 440s are likely lighter). If they are making fun of your hubs, I really think your friends need to get a life. Now, if you break your hub, then they can make fun of you.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I cleaned and lubed my Hope Pro II freehub not long ago. I was really impressed with the the spring and pawl arrangement. I've had the hub for probably around a year and a half. The springs still looked good. I can't see them breaking any time soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have broken 3 springs in 2 years. Yes they break where the flat part meets the curve (the pivot/stress spot). Just e-mail hopetechusa and they will send spares free of charge.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
weaklink said:
I have broken 3 springs in 2 years. Yes they break where the flat part meets the curve (the pivot/stress spot). Just e-mail hopetechusa and they will send spares free of charge.
Good to know. Thanks!

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
The pro II is one of the best hubs on the market, it will work fine even missing a few springs. When one breaks just phone hope and they will send you spares.
I would be more happy with a hope than the swiss

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, should have said I love the hub as well. It's noisy, but if that doesn't bother you, it's a great hub. I'm over 200# and have destroyed many XT and Mavic freehubs. Pro II has held up nicely with only the occasional broken spring. I've only detected the broken springs during hub maintenance, so it has never stranded me. Just keep an eye on them, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hope Pro II Rear Hub Pawl Spring Replacement

weaklink said:
Yep, just pulled apart mine for some cleaning/relube and realized that 1 spring was dead, 1 was near dead but 2 were still strong. Called Hope Tech USA and they're sending me some new ones no questions asked. Great guys/hubs to work with. And yes, the volume on Hopes does indeed go to 11.:thumbsup:

US Independent Distributor
Hope Technology USA Inc.
1414 S. Frazier St., Ste 110
Conroe, TX 77301

Phone: +1 936 756 5004
Fax: +1 936 756 5017
Email: [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts