Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running this hub replaced their cassette yet?

I went to put on a new cassette last weekend and I had a devil of a time getting the old one off. After some creative tool-making and some pounding with a wooden mallet, I finally got it off. Seems that the splined freehub shell (or rotor body, as Hope calls it) is softer than the individual cogs. The cogs had indented slightly into the splines, leaving little notches in the side of the splines and little raised bumps on the top surface of the splines. Hope's website says the rotor body is steel, but the cogs must be harder.

Anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jim Beam said:
Yep.

I've had a super annoying creak that I finally traced down and that's where it led. It only creaked when I was seated and applying some torque on climbs. I decided to check the torque on the cassette figuring it was loose and found it was just a bit. Curious about the interface, I went a little further and removed the cassette but ran into the same diffuculty in getting the dang thing off. Not quite to the extreme as yours but it was tough. I did find the same deformation on the body where the cassette seems to be digging in. Cleaned it up as best I could and put it back together with a torque wrench and it still creaks but much less. Not really sure what I could do about it other than ask around for info. Sounds like It's leading to making a call to Hope and see what they say.

Anyone already talk to Hope about it?

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Jim Beam said:
Anybody running this hub replaced their cassette yet?

I went to put on a new cassette last weekend and I had a devil of a time getting the old one off. After some creative tool-making and some pounding with a wooden mallet, I finally got it off. Seems that the splined freehub shell (or rotor body, as Hope calls it) is softer than the individual cogs. The cogs had indented slightly into the splines, leaving little notches in the side of the splines and little raised bumps on the top surface of the splines. Hope's website says the rotor body is steel, but the cogs must be harder.

what kind of cassette did you use? XT level or higher cassettes has the alu carrier for the larger cogs and should not bite into the cassette body, which is aluminium by the way. the XC model has a steel body, which is upgradable to titanium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.