Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building up a nice front wheel, and I like the idea of using a hope pro II front hub, so I can switch it between QR and 20mm thru axle. I have a QR fork right now. I was wondering if you can turn a hope pro II front hub into a bolt on hub, like the surly hub. I think that would be great, especially as I'm planning on building up a tough front wheel with it. I looked around on the internet, but I can't seem to find info one way or the other.

If not the hope pro II, are there any other hubs that would switch between 200mm thru axle and normal QR bolt on easily?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
dmcgoy said:
Uh, look at the second item on the list. Do you need anymore hand-holding?
Still not exactly what he's looking for. He knows you can convert between 9mm QR and 20mm through axle. What (I'm gathering) he wants to do is convert between a 20mm through axle and a 10mm bolt-on solid axle like a Surly New front hub.

I don't think it's possible.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You can also drill out your Hope QR end caps to 9mm so you can use a DT Swiss RTS unit. Good compromise to add stiffness but still keep it light.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nater said:
Still not exactly what he's looking for. He knows you can convert between 9mm QR and 20mm through axle. What (I'm gathering) he wants to do is convert between a 20mm through axle and a 10mm bolt-on solid axle like a Surly New front hub.

I don't think it's possible.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure standard fork QR dropouts aren't 15 mm wide. So that second item doesn't help me.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dmcgoy said:

I'm looking for a hub that can do 9mm bolt on, QR AND 20mm thru axle. (Obviously not all at the same time.) But thanks for that.

Thanks for the info Nater. I didn't think it was possible either, I was hoping I was wrong. I'll probably end up getting a surly new hub or a Paul fhub. I may go the RWS route, but I really do like bolt on hubs.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Not possible

I do not think it is possible to make the Hope front hub bolt-on. The end caps just pop onto either side of the hub, so you need some kind of axle to go through the whole hub to hold everything together and preload the bearings, either a traditional skewer or a thru-axle.

I just got a spare set of QR end caps and am planning to drill them open on try the DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewer.

1-bar: Have you done this, or know someone who has done it? Anything to look out for?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
bikeny said:
I do not think it is possible to make the Hope front hub bolt-on. The end caps just pop onto either side of the hub, so you need some kind of axle to go through the whole hub to hold everything together and preload the bearings, either a traditional skewer or a thru-axle.

I just got a spare set of QR end caps and am planning to drill them open on try the DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewer.

1-bar: Have you done this, or know someone who has done it? Anything to look out for?

Thanks,
Mark
Here is the thread that got me into this. I haven't had a chance to ride my bike this way, since I'm still in the process of building it up. I really don't see any downsides to it.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...wiss-rws-9mm-skewer-hope-pro-2-front-hub.html

If you are worried about screwing it up, you can buy new end caps.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
1-bar said:
Here is the thread that got me into this. I haven't had a chance to ride my bike this way, since I'm still in the process of building it up. I really don't see any downsides to it.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...wiss-rws-9mm-skewer-hope-pro-2-front-hub.html

If you are worried about screwing it up, you can buy new end caps.
If you really want to make sure the drilling of the end caps comes out well centered, drill them out in a lathe with the drill bit fixed and the end cap held in a collet.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
bobbotron said:
I didn't think it was possible either, I was hoping I was wrong. I'll probably end up getting a surly new hub or a Paul fhub. I may go the RWS route, but I really do like bolt on hubs.
Won't work with Hope, but will work Hadley hubs, and DT swiss RWS. Hadley may also make a 9mm bolt on front axle, but you would have to call them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
B.A.R.K. said:
If there is such an easy and effective conversion why wouldn't Hope made the caps?
I guess I will start searching for a second set of caps and a new QR.
Yeah, it's weird. You think they could just make a separate bolt on axle and sell it with some bolt on end caps. I guess they don't think that there's enough demand.

Or they could make an axle like paul makes.
http://www.paulcomp.com/fhub.html

Hmm, looks like I'm going to get a paul fhub. Would have been nice to have a hope, but looks like it's not to be, I know I'd screw up drilling one out and I don't have the tools for that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
dmcgoy said:
hahaha, keep being a dick. Did you even read his post?:thumbsup:

Hope doesn't use an axle in their pro II front, it's just the hub shell with bearings, then different end caps that fit into the bearings.

There is no bolt on conversion. You would need to manufacture some type of axle for it to basically hold the left and right sides of the hub together. I've heard great things about the DT Swiss RWS system.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.