Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referring back to my post....Primarily for sustained gravel climbs upwards of 1000 ft/from smooth to chunky.Bike is a Salsa Cutthroat.
I'm presently running a DT 240s rim brake version on my CX bike but $$ holds me back from buying them again.
Thoughts.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Not much difference in price. I like hope hubs just because the adapters to go from QR to boost are all available and easy to get on-line. The colors are nice as well if you want them!

I have no major problem with the low engagement but that is something you might want to consider. With the DT, you can upgrade.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is it for another rig? I'm just wandering what's wrong with your current 240.

As of today, I'd go with the 350, as there are already version with micro spline, should you decide to change cassette to this standard. But I think Hope will get MS freehubs too.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
What is a Hope Pro EVO 4? There's a Pro 2 EVO and a Pro 4. But I've never heard of a Pro 4 EVO or whatever you're talking about. I'd love to see a Pro 4 EVO or Pro 5...something with 72+ poe. But I chatted with Hope recently and they said they are always working on stuff but nothing new coming down the pipe anytime soon.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
What is a Hope Pro EVO 4? There's a Pro 2 EVO and a Pro 4. But I've never heard of a Pro 4 EVO or whatever you're talking about. I'd love to see a Pro 4 EVO or Pro 5...something with 72+ poe. But I chatted with Hope recently and they said they are always working on stuff but nothing new coming down the pipe anytime soon.
He clearly just meant Hope 4.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I've got both the Pro 4 and 350. Its kind of a toss up. If you want colors and a loud rear hub...get the Hope. If you want to be able to swap ratchets easily...get the 350.

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
They're both solid. I've got Pro 2 EVOs, Pro 4s, 350 and 240s and they all are about the same. DT might be slightly easier to work on. Hopes have slightly more engagement if you don't get the DT 56T upgrade. I'd personally get whatever is cheaper. Or Hope if you're a color way fanatic. Or try to score some 240s used on ebay.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'm shopping for a Boost rear hub right now and getting discouraged. Hope Pro 4 for $175 from Merlin, looks like a drop in replacement for my need at first glance, but people here say "bearings are crap, went out in 500 miles." Would prefer but can't find Swiss 350 hubs for a price as low as Hope, unless there's some gray market holdout I haven't found yet. CRC is sold out, US sellers want $260. Novatec is low priced but they seem to blow up pretty often. Phil and King and Onyx are far out of my budget.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Hopes are really loud and they have 44pt right out of the box. That alone sold me on hopes over 350's.

The 350 inner bearing is a total nightmare. Will you personally have to change it? Maybe not. I've done 2 or 3 and im good off that forever.

Hope bearings are not nearly as good as DT swiss. Not even close, you might smoosh out hope bearings in half a season or less. Luckily they're WAY easier than DT's to change, and about the same price.

Most people will never break hope pawls, so I wouldnt consider strength a factor between the two. If you're one of those people who would break one, you probably already know it and probably already went with DT's.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,179 Posts
Hopes are really loud and they have 44pt right out of the box. That alone sold me on hopes over 350's.

The 350 inner bearing is a total nightmare. Will you personally have to change it? Maybe not. I've done 2 or 3 and im good off that forever.

Hope bearings are not nearly as good as DT swiss. Not even close, you might smoosh out hope bearings in half a season or less. Luckily they're WAY easier than DT's to change, and about the same price.

Most people will never break hope pawls, so I wouldnt consider strength a factor between the two. If you're one of those people who would break one, you probably already know it and probably already went with DT's.
This is spot-on. I rebuilt a wheel a few days ago and had the hub all by itself. Noticed crunchy and some worn bearings...uh oh! But easy to replace and service ALL bearings on the hope hub, it's simple and it works well. DT is nice stuff, but that freehub bearing in there that requires the threaded teeth spline to come out is absolutely crazy, as in not able to be removed by mortals.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,078 Posts
Dt swiss changed the construction in 2015. You do not have to remove the ratchet ring from hub shell for bearing replacement on those newer hubs. The drive side bearings have smaller diameter and shim can be removed without removing the ratchet ring. I do not know if all ratchet hubs made after 2015 are similar or are there also old style hubs made.

·
rth009
992 Posts
I like the engagement and the sound, but Ive had nothing but trouble with Hope and their bearings. Just got my first set of DT Swiss 350, used with the 54t star ratchet upgrade and I love them so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.