Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new wheelset for my new single speed. I've been a long time user of Hopes. I love them. I have zero reasons to not like them. But...I am curious about I9's and I'd like to try something with a little better engagement. Definitely don't have the money for Hydras. Don't want to spend the money for Torches. So that leaves the 101 Classic that can be had for around $240 for a rear. What are the thoughts on this rear hub compared to the Hope Pro 4 (44 poe vs 90 poe) and compared to the Torch for $308. I mean if the Torch is absolutely worth the extra $68 then maybe I'll spring for it. But if I can save that $68...that'll pay for my spokes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi snowflake lover (!)

Long time I9 user here, have 2008 legacy wheelset, and early (mid 2013) Torch hubs. Also have ProII's

These are tough decisions. I always find that I need to really dig into what I want, then put a budget on it.

If you want more engagement, then Hope are out.
If you want to try Shimano 12 speed using a Shimano cassette then Hope are out
If you want a coloured hub, it has to be Torch or Hope
If you want proven reliability, it has to be Torch or Hope (though I9 have awesome support, so if the 101 has any issues you'll be supported.

Also, Torch freehubs are MUCH more expensive than 101 ($180 vs $95 for HG & XD drivers). Hope freehubs are similar in price to the 101

Where have you seen the 101's for $240?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi snowflake lover (!)

Long time I9 user here, have 2008 legacy wheelset, and early (mid 2013) Torch hubs. Also have ProII's

These are tough decisions. I always find that I need to really dig into what I want, then put a budget on it.

If you want more engagement, then Hope are out.
If you want to try Shimano 12 speed using a Shimano cassette then Hope are out
If you want a coloured hub, it has to be Torch or Hope
If you want proven reliability, it has to be Torch or Hope (though I9 have awesome support, so if the 101 has any issues you'll be supported.

Also, Torch freehubs are MUCH more expensive than 101 ($180 vs $95 for HG & XD drivers). Hope freehubs are similar in price to the 101

Where have you seen the 101's for $240?

Cheers
Only time I like snowflakes are when they fall from the sky in winter...lol

I'm mostly happy with Hope engagement...especially on a geared bike when to me it's not quite as apparent. However...it's way more noticeable on a single speed and that's what I'm building. Too bad Hope won't make their trials hub in boost. I'd be just fine with the Hope Pro 4. I have the Pro 2 EVO on my current single speed mountain bike and Pro 4 on my SSCX/gravel bike. Both are just fine. But I'm thinking this time around...why not look at something with more POE.

I'm a SRAM XD guy so no worries on the 12 Shimano.

Color is nice but not necessary.

So there's been issues with the 101? Or you say that just because it's the older version of what they have out now?

Jenson has the 101 and when they have a 20% off coupon it works. Or if you use one of the 15% coupons that everyone gets with their order it should work. It's not an excluded item surprisingly.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Only time I like snowflakes are when they fall from the sky in winter...lol

I'm mostly happy with Hope engagement...especially on a geared bike when to me it's not quite as apparent. However...it's way more noticeable on a single speed and that's what I'm building. Too bad Hope won't make their trials hub in boost. I'd be just fine with the Hope Pro 4. I have the Pro 2 EVO on my current single speed mountain bike and Pro 4 on my SSCX/gravel bike. Both are just fine. But I'm thinking this time around...why not look at something with more POE.

I'm a SRAM XD guy so no worries on the 12 Shimano.

Color is nice but not necessary.

So there's been issues with the 101? Or you say that just because it's the older version of what they have out now?

Jenson has the 101 and when they have a 20% off coupon it works. Or if you use one of the 15% coupons that everyone gets with their order it should work. It's not an excluded item surprisingly.
Thanks for the head-up about Jenson.

If you have the itch, scratch it :cool:

Re: potential issues.
  • [edit] I haven't heard of any issues with the 101, and I have no reason to suspect that there will be any.[edit]
  • I'm always wary of new product or 1st release products (of any kind, MTB or other). Much as I love I9, and have had stellar customer service from them, I did suffer from the teething issues that they had with the early Torch rear hubs. Having said this, I won't hesitate to buy I9 again...even though it's a challenge given the Aussie to USD exchange rate.

The 101 is a new product, it's not an older version. I'm wondering what they've done to reduce the price relative to the (old) Torch and the (new) Hydra. Having no colours will help, and given how much cheaper the freehub is they may have found a way to manufacture it far more inexpensively. The only question I'd have is have they compromised on materials in some way...but I doubt it given that around the same price as the 101 are the Hope Pro4 and the DT 350 (with upgraded 54T ratchet)...both being stellar hubs...so compromising on durability will be fast path to failure. Maybe the bearings aren't as nice...I should read up on it. Calling them & chatting would also be interesting.

Re: freehub cost & Torch. Without being a conspiracy theorist... it wouldn't surprise me if SRAM came out with a 2nd version of XD. The current NX/SX cassettes weigh so much that SRAM should pay people to ride them...600g+...and the way they manufacture the lighter XO1/XX1 cassettes is too expensive for the SX/NX/GX level. Now that Shimano have released 12sp, with a SLX cassette that isn't super heavy....SRAM may be forced to respond...cue XD+ or superXD or XDlight or XD2 :nono: :madman: :madmax:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.