Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some opinion to guide my choice for a new rear hub between the Pro 4 and the 350

I understand they are both very good hubs but I would like to choose the quietest. If someone has both could you let me know if the 350 if really quieter ? any great alternative silent I don't know about?

In the future I might upgrade my frame so I't like something that can be upgraded to through axle if necessary. I think the 350 can do that ? Can the hope do it ?

In terms of reliability which one has the best bearings in your opinion ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hopes are definitely the louder of the two. It's easy to swap axle standards with the Hopes, as well. Simple end cap or axle swap and it's a done deal, plus you have color options if that's your thing. I have a pair of the Pro4 hubs and really like them. Never owned the 350 hubs, though.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,756 Posts

In the future I might upgrade my frame so I't like something that can be upgraded to through axle if necessary. I think the 350 can do that ? Can the hope do it ?

In terms of reliability which one has the best bearings in your opinion ?

Thanks

DT350s have a lot of axle swap options if you start with the 15QR hub as a basis. The DT ratchet system for the freehub is proabably one of the most bombproof of all freehub system as there are no small pawl springs that might bind up. Two large ratchets and large springs hold everything together. All of this can be replaced by hand.

DT Star Ratchet System.png

The only real downside to the DT 350 hubs is slightly slower engagement if you can feel the difference. The price on the DT 350s is great as it's a virtual copy of the DT 240 hubs with slightly higher weight due to less machining of the hub shell for weight savings on the DT 240s.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
POE is way more important than noise IMO. That was one of the major unexpected benefits to going to Hope 2's vs the OEM set on my Giant. 15* to 10* is huge, makes a big difference in ratcheting up tech.

Looking forward to the 3* engagement of my incoming i9's.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,520 Posts
I've done a lot of riding in a lot of different places, and 18T DTs have never held me back.

Cone to think of it, I don't think I've ever "ratcheted", either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
I can barely hear my 350. I switched to the 36t ratchet and... honestly haven't noticed much difference. I like knowing that my wheels is "better", but that is about all it did for me at least.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had to made a decision on hubs and the 2 you are looking at were right there. End of day I picked Onyx for what's suppose to be instant engagement and almost indestructible even for a clyde. I have read they are quiet as well.

I won't have my wheels and hubs built and in my has for about 3 weeks so I can't give a ride report yet. Tough decision but from what I read (I read as much as I could find for weeks) any of the 2 will be damn good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DT350s have a lot of axle swap options if you start with the 15QR hub as a basis. The DT ratchet system for the freehub is proabably one of the most bombproof of all freehub system as there are no small pawl springs that might bind up. Two large ratchets and large springs hold everything together. All of this can be replaced by hand.

View attachment 1096535

The only real downside to the DT 350 hubs is slightly slower engagement if you can feel the difference. The price on the DT 350s is great as it's a virtual copy of the DT 240 hubs with slightly higher weight due to less machining of the hub shell for weight savings on the DT 240s.
Wow thanks a lot for the answer. For the slower engagement you mean comparing to the pro4? You think the 350 is as solid as the 240?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,520 Posts
The 350 uses the exact same mechanism as the 240. And the 180. And the 540 tandem hub.

DT Swiss only sells one "grade" of star ratchet; there is no difference between an 18T that comes stock on a new 350, new 240, or new 540. They can be swapped between all of those hubs as they all use the same threaded "nut" to hold the star ratchets in place in the hub. They just thread into different hub shells.

Meaning, the only difference is the hub shell, and, depending on perspective, perhaps slightly higher quality bearings on the 180.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,756 Posts
Wow thanks a lot for the answer. For the slower engagement you mean comparing to the pro4? You think the 350 is as solid as the 240?
Hope Pro 4 stock has 44 tooth engagement. The DT350 comes stock with 18 point engagement with upgrade options for 36 and 54 point engagement.

In terms of engagement, there is a lot of discussion about engagement but what I find in reality is that it does matter for some people, but actually not really so much for other people.

Just found a bit more from DT on the star ratchet system: https://www.dtswiss.com/Technology/Freewheel-technology-Ratchet-System

The DT350 is absolutely as solid as the DT240 hubs with the same star ratchet system. Just spoke with my contact at DT at the Interbike Outdoor Demo last week and he joked that they really killed DT240 sales when they introduced the DT350 hubs. I use them on all of my demo bikes as I find them to be the best blend of performance, weight, durability & price (!) that I've found. Absolutely no nonsense and very little maintenance.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,756 Posts
I had to made a decision on hubs and the 2 you are looking at were right there. End of day I picked Onyx for what's suppose to be instant engagement and almost indestructible even for a clyde. I have read they are quiet as well.

I won't have my wheels and hubs built and in my has for about 3 weeks so I can't give a ride report yet. Tough decision but from what I read (I read as much as I could find for weeks) any of the 2 will be damn good.
Onyx make a great hub for sure. Bombproof with instant engagement. The weight is the only real downside. Their background in making agricultural machinery which needs to be durable is a real plus in my mind.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 350 uses the exact same mechanism as the 240. And the 180. And the 540 tandem hub.

DT Swiss only sells one "grade" of star ratchet; there is no difference between an 18T that comes stock on a new 350, new 240, or new 540. They can be swapped between all of those hubs as they all use the same threaded "nut" to hold the star ratchets in place in the hub. They just thread into different hub shells.

Meaning, the only difference is the hub shell, and, depending on perspective, perhaps slightly higher quality bearings on the 180.
I don't know if this is still true on the latest models, but I found that the star ratchet set on the DT240s were holllowed out in the back for more weight savings. I think the difference was like 20g if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In terms of reliability which one has the best bearings in your opinion
Reliability is the same more or less. Hope bearings come from INA, DT Swiss make their own, both high quality.

Hope hubs can fit every axle standard ever, even 24mm Maverick and Whyte 135x10 'Big Gripper' should you really, really want them.

DT are more limited but have QR,135x12 and 142x12 covered. The front 350 comes in QR/15mm and a separate 20mm version, so be aware which front hub you are getting.

If I had to choose I'd take the DT350. It's essentially a far eastern version of the 240 and the 240 ratchet upgrades are a drop in part should the standard 18t prove too low. The only reason I'd do that is because I find Hope hubs obnoxiously loud, they even drown out the King hubs I have now!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I don't know if this is still true on the latest models, but I found that the star ratchet set on the DT240s were holllowed out in the back for more weight savings. I think the difference was like 20g if I recall correctly.
I have a pair of 350's that came with the hollow 36T. I've also got some Roval wheels that use the 36T's also, but those are solid. Could just be some running change that DT made.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Cone to think of it, I don't think I've ever "ratcheted", either.
This is a good point. I came to MTB with a much better bike handling background than fitness (although admittedly, both were poor) my first couple seasons fast freehubs were a big help cuz i'd run out of gas and trackstand, or pedal VEEEERY slowly, or ratchet cuz my approach speed was nil or i was nervous... a fast freehub was pretty helpful. At some point later i moved to hubs with low POE and i never noticed a difference cuz i pedaled through and had the stamina and brain juice left to keep torque on the pedals.

I haven't had to buy hubs in a long time, but POE isn't really that important any more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the 36t 240s and they have been great hub. They were actually a little noisy when I first got them, but after replacing the grease, they're almost silent now.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
...At some point later i moved to hubs with low POE and i never noticed a difference cuz i pedaled through and had the stamina and brain juice...
Funny to read of ratcheting as a cheat or a technique to make up for lack of skill/strength.

We may have a terrain variance here; there are several spots on my local trails that are a tire wide with rocks on both sides, and no fast sprint on the leadin possible. The only way through them is to ratchet. With the slow hubs I'm riding now, I can't make them any more.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Funny to read of ratcheting as a cheat or a technique to make up for lack of skill/strength.

We may have a terrain variance here; there are several spots on my local trails that are a tire wide with rocks on both sides, and no fast sprint on the leadin possible. The only way through them is to ratchet. With the slow hubs I'm riding now, I can't make them any more.
I'm in the south bay, we have the same terrain. :)

I think the big thing is how fast you come in to obstacles like that; if you've got some momentum you can just pause your pedal stroke and coast a moment and use you upper body to get the bike up and it's no big deal. If you don't have the speed and need to pedal kick then fast engagement is important. I don't really know why i don't care any more, but i totally remember a fast hub being a big help, and now i swap between fast hub and slow hub and never notice a difference.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts