Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it didn't take long before I boke it. I'm happy I checked everything before the snow kicked in. I used it for around 4 months last winter and around 10h per week. All this time was on snow and for temps ranging between -10C and -30C most of the time. I weight 148 lb without gearing so maybe around 155 lb fully geared and pushing a 28T front and 13-40T on the rear.

3 bearings out of 4 are really rough. I totally destroyed one pawl and another one is chipped. My old Sun Ringle lasted 3 winter and a half before it totally died from a destroyed freehub bearing eating the axle.

Here is a picture of the pawls. I ordered a kit of pawls and bearings and I hope they will last a bit longer.

Grey Household hardware Metal Circle Machine

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ouch-that looks bad. Something went amiss there. Have you contacted Hope?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did, and they told me to contact the ones who sold it to me, CRC in this case. CRC want me to send back the hub to waranty it...sound like a bad idea to me since we will get some snow in the next 3-4 weeks and international shipping is really slow these days. On top of that, the cost to send it back would be higher than the price of new pawls shipped to me.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,643 Posts
In 5 year I've replaced two free hubs and rebuilt two on my Hope pro2 fatso. Two might have been because I broke two frames on the drive side. I always have a spear free hub(steel) ready and bearing on hand.

·
This place needs an enema
16,202 Posts
It's threads like this that I refer people to when they ask why I don't recommend Hope hubs.

Not everyone has the same experience. This is on the crappier end of the spectrum, for sure.

But it's not that uncommon anymore.

Hope -- what has become of ye?

·
turtles make me hot
11,555 Posts
DO NOT put Hope bearings back in that hub. What probably happened was the ultra crappy Hope bearings did what they do and wore out prematurely. This enabled the axle to move and move the pawl away from the ratchet ring under load, thus breaking the pawl.
I like Hope hubs but I know to use Enduro or SKF bearings in them sooner than later. Then they last just fine.

·
rth009
950 Posts
I bought two sets of hope pro 2 fatsnos in 2015 for a 29+ and 26 fatty set. I got them because they were cheap and I like loud hubs because I live in grizzly country. Ive had no failures, but I've replaced the bearings (with Enduro bearings) way too frequently and I cannot seem to get a microspline freehub body for it. Will never do it again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew the bearings were not that great but never though the pawls would be that shitty. The cost for the parts to repair the Sun Ringle were about the same as the Hope hub while being scatered on multiple web vendors. This was looking like a real pain to make it work again so I went for the Hope. I should have gone with the DT 350 and take the upcharge of also changing the spokes of my wheel. I'm giving the Fatsno a second chance this winter and we will see the outcome.

·
turtles make me hot
11,555 Posts
The pawls broke BECAUSE of the bearings. I weigh 265 pounds and I hammer up hills and I haven't broken a Hope hub since figuring out the bearing answer.

rth009, I get Hopes with Microspline and just Microspline drivers all the time. Haven't had a problem yet. My only issue is that they're expensive.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,220 Posts
Crazy. I've been running hope hubs since '04, fatsnos since I dunno, '14 or something....
Never replaced a single bearing... Ever....

Only maintenance is pull the freehub and regrease
There are a couple pair that have never been troublesome. One thing that does happen is a cleaning,and proper overhaul and lube with Slick Honey. The faulty bearings were my own damn fault... Lack of a good maintenance following a monsoon ride... Doh!

·
Thingamejigger
1,256 Posts
Crazy. I've been running hope hubs since '04, fatsnos since I dunno, '14 or something....
Never replaced a single bearing... Ever....

Only maintenance is pull the freehub and regrease
Older hubs certainly didn't fail as often, but as the hub have gotten wider and the steel in their bearings softer (i.e. Stainless), they have failed more often; especially the outer freehub bearing with its tiny bearings, engineered to clear a 12mm t/a. Annoyingly, SKF dont/didnt make this size and you stuck with Enduro.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've been running 2 sets of 135/170 Hope EVO Fatsno hubs since Feb. 2016. One laced to a set 29+ rims and one on a set of B-fat rims.

Zero issues to date with the rear hub bearings or pawls/cassette bodies however I have had to replace the bearings in the front hub on the 29+ rims twice. Both times I used Enduro bearings. Oddly enough that came after converting it to run with a 15mm TA suspension fork. Before that when I was using the stock 9mm QR fork I didn't have any problem. I haven't had to replace the bearings in the front hub on the the B-Fat rim yet but then again I've never used it with the TA suspension fork. The frame has QR rear dropouts so maybe the Hope 15mm and 12mm TA conversion kits have something to do with it.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,643 Posts
I've been running 2 sets of 135/170 Hope EVO Fatsno hubs since Feb. 2016. One laced to a set 29+ rims and one on a set of B-fat rims.

Zero issues to date with the rear hub bearings or pawls/cassette bodies however I have had to replace the bearings in the front hub on the 29+ rims twice. Both times I used Enduro bearings. Oddly enough that came after converting it to run with a 15mm TA suspension fork. Before that when I was using the stock 9mm QR fork I didn't have any problem. I haven't had to replace the bearings in the front hub on the the B-Fat rim yet but then again I've never used it with the TA suspension fork. The frame has QR rear dropouts so maybe the Hope 15mm and 12mm TA conversion kits have something to do with it.
I'm using a 135 front Hope hub with the 15 mm kit and no problems with the front in 5 years. I rebuilt one free hub with Enduro bearing and got a little over a year out of it. If you use hope just check the bearing often.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just killed a hope microspline freehub. Bearings allowing freehub to twist and contact ratchet ring under heavy loading.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,060 Posts
Ouch! I like their hubs for being simple and easy to replace bearings, but my preference is for DT swiss for fat bikes. I still have several wheels with the fatsnos.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts