Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new wheelset to be built up for summer use.

Spokes will be DT Revolution and will be laced to Mavic XC717 Disc Rims

Uses: Mainly fast road (slicks), and some light offroading/cross country

I am torn between these 2 hub choices and really need to know opinions of both.

One 1 side I have the XT hub, which as far as i know has more engagement points, runs on cup and cone so theoretically rolls better? and is cheaper...

On the other, there is the rather clicky! Hope hub, which seems a little more expensive, comes in a range of colours (not really that bothered) but seems of good quality.

My question is, which one will last longer, and above anything else will roll better, both when pedalling and free wheeling?

Any help would be fantastic... it's difficult because I haven't experienced either

Andy

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You are looking at two...

very different hubs. First off the Pro II has more engagement points than the XT. Not that big of a deal though when riding primarily on the road. Quality wise there is no comparison, the Pro II is a very finely machined piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong the shimano is good, I've got a set of XT's that are 10 years old and still going strong (with regular maintenance of course). But my Pro II's are a much nicer hub both appearance and quality wise. As far as maintenance goes the Pro II wins that one hands down! No special tools and you can completely rebuild the hub and free hub. There isn't a part of the Pro II that can't be maintained, rebuilt or replaced. Bearings are sealed cartirdge and of excellent quality so no messing with repacking and adjusting the bearings. And you can disassemble the free hub with ease to clean and regrease when needed, try that with a shimano free hub! With that said, absolutely nothing rolls smoother longer and with less resistance than a quality, properly maintained, lubed, and adjusted cup and cone bearing hub. But will you notice the difference? In the work stand yes. On the road or trail, no. The primary reason that a cup and cone hub will roll longer in the stand is the lack of seals. There are seals there, but nothing like the seals on a cartridge bearing. The seals on the Pro II hubs are what cause them to slow more quickly in the stand than a cup and cone hub. But as I said, when riding you don't even feel the difference.

So, which to go with. Your choice. It depends on what is more important to you, quality, looks, ease of maintenance and a company that a simple phone call will resolve nearly any problem. Or the smoother rolling of the XT, a little more frequent maintenance, fussy adjustments, and ya gotta go through a dealer to get parts. If you are getting the idea that I'm a Hope fan, I am. But to put it in perspective, my off road bikes both run on Hope hubs. My commuter is running on the 10 year old XT's. So they're both good options. Just two different ways of doing the same job. For mostly road and good weather I'd save some bucks and go with the XT. For off road in fair or lousy conditions I'd go with the Hope. Take your pick as far as longevity goes, I've got a set of Hope XC hubs that are a year younger than my XT's, and they're still going strong too, and I've spent less time maintaining them than the XT's.

Your choice, both will get the job done.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Squash: Thank you for your response, it's always nice to read a comprehensive answer!

I was under the impression that the hope pro 2's had 24 points of engagement, to the new xt hubs 36 points (previously the xt's had 18 as far as I recall)?

As you suggest, the engagement isn't really a major decision maker for road use.

It's rather difficult, as I have a "winter set" of wheels, and was planning on a "summer set" for this build, so the conditions will be better and the wheels can be stripped down at the end of the summer for the winter ones to take over....

However, from the sounds of things, I could happily use the Hopes all year round due to the durability/lack of apparent maintenance required in comparison to the shimano...

It's a really difficult decision without riding either hub, in terms of weight they seem rather similar, I am looking to build a wheelset between high 1500's to 1600's in weight, for which I think both fit the bill pretty well.

The smooth rolling is something that I really was concerned about, as I have heard (as you suggest) that cup and cone properly adjusted will always outperform a cartridge bearing in this area, to what extent I suppose will only be made apparent when I ride... Ideally I wanted the new wheelset (being lighter) to make it easier to build and maintain speed, so aslong as the hope hubs wouldn't effect this in a negative manner... then they do seem appealing.

Is there anything else you think I should be considering? any other points of the hopes that I've not mentioned?

Thanks again

Andy

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Ahh...we're talking the new....

09 hub. I forget they "improved" on the old XT. Yes Shimano went to a 36 point engagement on the 775 XT. Both Shimano and Hope use a 4 pawl system so the XT will engage a bit quicker. However I'd use a bit of caution with the new Shimano system. There have been a few reports of pawl failure with them. Nothing wide spread yet as they are still fairly new on the market. Not that big of a deal I guess as you simply replace the entire free hub as a unit. But getting the right free hub can be a pain. The one draw back that does come to mind with the Hope is the aluminum free hub body. It does require the use of a higher end cassette with an aluminum carrier like the XT or SRAM 990.

Also an apparent upgrade on the new XT hub is the "improved" sealing system. I haven't heard or had any experience with it so can't really comment on it. Supposed to be better, but I've only got manufacturer hype to go on. Sounds good, but only time will tell. Oh and one other quirk of the Hope rear, they are quite loud when freewheeling. If you are into nearly silent hubs like the old XT then it might be a bit much for you. Personally I don't notice it. When I ride I'm either on the road and in traffic, or intent on the trail. So not an issue here, but it is the most often heard compaint about the Pro II. I'm not sure how the newer 775 compares in this respect, but If they're anything like the old XTs, they are likely quieter than a Hope.

Other than that I can't really think of anything else. Both hubs should easily get you into a wheel set of between 1500 and 1600g with wise component choices. My personal advice would be to go with the Hope hubs. They are a known factor. The M775 with it's improvments is still pretty new yet and may show a few more quirks before everything is ironed out. I'm one of those "cautious" types. I usually don't run out and buy the newest or latest version of something until it's been out for a year or two. Reliability is more important to me than having the latest thing. I'm greatful for those that do though, they're the ones that let us know how the latest gadget works! :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, well looking at things, to lace both hubs up to the following:

Dt Swiss Revolution Spokes (black)
Dt Brass Nipples
New Ultegra 11-23 Cassette
New rotors (6 bolt (alligator)/centrelock (XTR) respectively)

I am looking at approximately £235 for the XT or £345 for the hopes

Really difficult, because if I go XT, they are my summer wheels (which will be serviced at the end of summer and stored for the following year... or I could use the hopes all year round... is such a pain ;/

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Not sure if it matters to you, but I know for sure that with the HOPE you will have the option to run them in several different configurations if you need/want to. They use endcaps and they can be changed out in 5 minutes to go from QR>9/10mm RWS>20mm TA, don't know if the new XTs can do the same - definitely not the old ones. I love this feature as it allows me to use the wheels with whatever frame/fork I so choose and/or to swap them about different bikes for different purposes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'd go with the hope hubs. I just got a wheelset from chain reaction for 302 usd (which is 207.82 british pound). They are really nice and i cant wait to go riding tomorrow. The hubs were laced with dt swiss champion spokes to mavic 717 rims. I previously had some Xt hubs with mavic 517 rims but i pretty much destroyed the rear xt hub.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
andyk said:
Hmm, well looking at things, to lace both hubs up to the following:

Dt Swiss Revolution Spokes (black)
Dt Brass Nipples
New Ultegra 11-23 Cassette
New rotors (6 bolt (alligator)/centrelock (XTR) respectively)

I am looking at approximately £235 for the XT or £345 for the hopes

Really difficult, because if I go XT, they are my summer wheels (which will be serviced at the end of summer and stored for the following year... or I could use the hopes all year round... is such a pain ;/
Well, although I've had trouble with the XTs I find it hard to believe they would be unsuitable for winter use. I know many people have had great luck with shimano hubs, even with just yearly(or less) maintenance so I'm not sure going XT would mean you couldn't run them in the winter.

Having said all that, I now have 3 wheel sets with Hope hubs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fran: opps i was thinkin of the 317's which are a tad heavier than the 717's, didnt think about the vbrake rim. Fair play

Dascro: i'm sure they would hold up. My deores have seen 3 seasons full and are still in great shape. Just laced to stronger, heavy stuff!. So was thinking to keep them as an 'abuse' set for the winter training months

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just to throw out another option, go to Wiggle and check out the new Hope Hoops pro 3sp wheelset. These are the new Hope Pro 3 disc straight pull hubs, DT Swiss 4.2d rims and DT Super Comp spokes. I oredered last Friday and got them this Friday for $425 shipped to Florida. They also have the Hope Hoops pro 2 wheel set for $325. These wheels are built by Hope and are an incredible value.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikeon: If I recall the 2006 XT was heavier than the latest gen?, also your build has comp spokes in comparison to the HOPE build with revo's? I would imagine a fair amount of the weight difference falls here as they are now fairly comparable hubs (weight wise)

Anthem: will look at the Hope Pro 3, are they the ones that have the new 3 bolt rotors?

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I've used XT, XTR, Hope XC and Hope Bulb. Have not tried the Hope Pro II (which as far as I can tell is a slightly downgraded Bulb). All (except the XTR) have been ridden through fairly challenging environments- loaded cycle touring, UK winters, etc.

They're all good. I've gotten 7 years out of my first XT hub (which is still running strong). I don't notice any friction difference between any of them when pedalling. The salient points are that the Shimanos rears are nice and *quiet*, whilst the Hopes are obnoxiously loud (which most people seem to prefer as an audible sign of quality... I don't know why).

The pros and cons have largely been covered aleady. If you want pretty colours or flexibility, Hope is good. If you want engagement points, silence or performance-for-money, Shimano.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.