Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my hubs with hope pro II hubs. Front 20mm and rear is a 10mm bolt on. They are working quite nicely and saved me a bit of weight also. All good but the rear bolts. Anyone else see a problem with the bolts that these hubs come with? I personally think that they're a bit short and I can't find an allen key to fit the bolt right. Seems like they'll be stripped out in no time. Are there any replacement bolts that are better?

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
These bolts? You can take them to a hardware store and get same size/pitch metric replacements. I don't have length or allen head wrench issues though on my SS/Trials hub.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Buy a decent set of keys. I agree entirely that they're a little on the soft side, but I've only had rounding issues with sub-standard Allen keys. A set of Bondhus keys is only about $20-25 and will see you right for all your other wrenching needs, too.

As far as their length goes, my Pro II gets quite a beating being bolted into a FR hardtail and I'm yet to damage the bolts. That's not to say that they can't be damaged, just that I don't see how they're any weaker than a standard axle design.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got another set of bolts from the local hardware store. Got them just about a 1/2 inch longer. My allen wrenchs/keys are good. They fit into the new bolts with no issues. I think the bolts I got from hope will are just oversized I guess. Not a good fit. If I were to torque one of these bolts down I know I would round it. Not good if I've got a flat in the middle of nowhere. I was just looking for someone that makes this bolt in a 7075 or 6061 aluminum. Cause all the hardware stores have are mild steel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you can convert the bolt on hubs to skewered hubs for a very small cost... i can't find the thread at the moment, but it's on here somewhere and the parts are widely available. CRC have them at the very least...

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
I just got some heavy duty stainless steel bolts from the hardware store, they're a bit longer too with a bigger (8mm) and deeper allen head (socket cap). I can tighten them way harder without any danger of them stripping.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've been thinking of converting my rear Pro II to the 10mm bolt on axle. How tight can you actually tighten the bolts? What is the recommended torque? I'm just curious on the gained stiffness of the rear end if any.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A thru or bolt on feels much better than a qr, at least in my opinion. This is my sx trail I ride for freeride and trail abuse. New bolts are working great and I can torque then down with no issues. :D

BTW- Be careful using stainless bolts. If the female axle in the hub is aluminum then you might pull the threads out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.