Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got some second hand wheels that have Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. First thing I noticed was how loud they are. I then assumed that this is a known thing and some even like it lol.
The clicking seems to have some extra resistance as it dont free spin half as long as all other cheaper Hubs I have. Whats creating the resistance here, is it the click ratchet system or something, can I do anything about the resistance?

Thanks,
Dan

· Registered
223 Posts
Hi

I got some second hand wheels that have Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. First thing I noticed was how loud they are. I then assumed that this is a known thing and some even like it lol.
The clicking seems to have some extra resistance as it dont free spin half as long as all other cheaper Hubs I have. Whats creating the resistance here, is it the click ratchet system or something, can I do anything about the resistance?

Thanks,
Dan

Enjoy.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Hope hubs are great because they are so easy to service. Follow the video's and add some lube.

Reactions: chomxxo

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You lucked into one of the most durable hubs of all time. I recently rebuilt the same model; degrease, re-grease, and enjoy!
When I was looking for wheels for my bike build I ran into the issue of not knowing what forks I would end up getting as to the QR, 20mm, 15mm Maxel so with some searching the Hope hubbed wheelsets second hand offered that quick-change axle adaptor, on that alone I was sold.

I will do a degrease, I dont have the tools suggested in the video kindly posted above, and the hub is in the wheel so a bit more awkward I feel to do the job.

Dan

· Registered
682 Posts
service that hub as others have said. when rebuilding my Hope pro 4, I prefer as little grease as I can get away with, and I generally use suspension grease (SRAM butter) as its a bit less viscous and more slick than Polylube or most assembly grease. Some pros even use oils, though i don't recommend this. Check those sealed bearings while you're in there too. If they're crunchy, make sure to pop them out and replace them. Hope sells refresh kits with new bearings. If you're not comfortable working with bearings, then you may have to get it to a bike shop, but if you are mechanically inclined, they're quite easy to replace with a screw driver, mallet and a few different sized ratchet heads basically. Hope has done an amazing job at making an extremely easy to service hub.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
When greasing my Hopes, I've had great results mixing a little bit of Polylube and a few drops of Teflon oil for perfect viscosity. Picked up this tip from one of the guys at Whyte bikes in the U.K. The hubs are like silk.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
I bought a bike for my kid with those hubs a couple of years ago, I think he was 14 at the time, the loud hub was awesome, I could hear him behind me and not have to look to see if he was there. I don't think there's any resistance that will cause them to slow you down at all, he did very well racing that bike, and I've ridden it a fair bit too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.