Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the general verdict here..... I have just sold my shimano wheels with center lock rotors. I have the current model XT hydros with standard levers (running sram) and also goodridge hoses. They are a little heavy but work well. I am considering running some marta sl's or hope mono mini on my new 6 bolt crossmax sl..Or could just get some 6 bolt rotors and keep the shimanos..

What would you go for? I ride /race XC and weight about 162lb

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
ryan123 said:
So what is the general verdict here..... I have just sold my shimano wheels with center lock rotors. I have the current model XT hydros with standard levers (running sram) and also goodridge hoses. They are a little heavy but work well. I am considering running some marta sl's or hope mono mini on my new 6 bolt crossmax sl..Or could just get some 6 bolt rotors and keep the shimanos..

What would you go for? I ride /race XC and weight about 162lb
Can't really help you much, but i'm loving my Marta Sl's, although feel the standard Martas are probably better value.

But i have used shimano brakes breifly and they are also very nice brakes (although ofcourse heavier).

I have not ridden the Hopes, but i choose the Martas over the Hopes mainly due to Mineral oil (got Dot4 in my eye... it hurts, mineral oil is kind of soothing... ;)), and that they are just soo cool!

If you do get Martas, make sure to order a bleed kit and extra fluid from OS, because if you need to bleed the brakes for some reason ( i screwed up the cutting of the hose on one brake), fluid is stupid expensive in Australia.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The easiest thing to do is just to swap out the calipers for XTR, save about 100 grams there. If you are in pure weight saving mode Formula b4s are the lightest. Really can't go wrong with any of your choices they are all good brakes.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Magura brakes are a pain to bleed

ryan123 said:
are they a pain in the but to bleed and work with? What is the power vs modulation like?
But, I'm a hack mechanic, and I figured it out. They are good brakes with decent power and nice modulation. I think the IS system with those washers is funky. If you get 'em, make sure you have flat surfaces to work with on your tabs or you will get frustrated quick trying to get them to work quietly without rubbing. Oh, the pads die quick in any wet weather and are expensive but have come down a bit.

Jay

·
Registered
218 Posts
After doing the same research as you, I purchased a set of used Hope Mono Mini's for $200 (supposedly in "excellent condition", but I haven't recieved them yet). They both seem to be well liked, but from what I found on previous post most people that had tried Marta's and Hope's prefered the Hope's. The weight savings is not worth the price difference IMO, and if you upgrade the Mono Mini's to the floating rotors it makes them about the same weight. I think either will make an awesome brake and both companies seem to have great customer service (again, from what I read). -CK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.