Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting together a Large Flux. I weigh 90kg.
Does anyone have experience with the hope brakes at this riders weight. ?

I see 3 possible setups

Mono mini front and rear
Mono m4 front and rear
Mono m4 front mono mini rear

I already have a set of 2005 Monom4 (black and gold ones) but want to drop weight on the bike where ever possible.

comments?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mono mini. Hands down. Hell, I use the old mini on my rfx with a 7" front rotor and 6" rear. Never had a problem. And that includes last weekends trip to Whistler where my rfx had to stand in for my dhr because I broke my boxxer. Again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm curious as to why you say the mini hands down. I have run both M4s and Minis and I really cannot see the advantage to a mini. It wore through pads quicker, the brake didn't feel as nice in use, and I had more problems with it. The only advantage I can see is for the sake of a few grams and the M4 is only a tiny bit heavier. If you're desperate to lose weight and it HAS to be Hope then go for it, but there are other lighter brakes out there.

I have since moved away from Hope brakes and haven't ever looked back...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already own 05 monom4 and thought a move to minis would shave 200g

I ride XC, 50k epics etc. The tyres only leave the ground when being lifted into the car.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
therollex said:
I already own 05 monom4 and thought a move to minis would shave 200g

I ride XC, 50k epics etc. The tyres only leave the ground when being lifted into the car.
The mono M4s are not that heavy though, ~410-440 for 160 to 180mm setups. The mini may be a bit lighter, but not that much lighter if you're using the same size rotor. The mini piston is bigger than the mono M4, so it's not like it's "half" the weight or anything radical. By the weights listed on weightweeines, with the same rotors you MIGHT save nearly 100g, not much at all.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ahhh. Actually no.

Formula K24 180F/160R. Good pads, rotors, levers et.al. They just work great and they are not finicky. How about a downhill world championship (with 200mm rotors). Call Larry and ask him.

Cheers,

Kane

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I've run both on the Flux, RFX, with a bunch or rotor and caliper combos between them. If it's on a Flux, I would also base it heavily on the rider's terrain and riding style. Not that the Flux is made for it, but sketchy descents can be part of the deal, too. An option can be a larger front rotor on the Mini and/or an M4 front.

I also recognize that in XC, one can have long descents as well.

Personally, even on my RFX, the Mini was a good brake, but I switched only because of the type of riding I was doing was outside the scope of the Mini's intent, which is also outside of the intent of a Flux. I like both brakes very much, with the Mini being all the brake I needed for XC, with some descents. The 183 front rotor option is very well recommended at the OP's weight if going that route, along with using the metallic gold Hope pads. 07's ship with the green pads, which are fine enough, but the metallics are much better for the weight, especially with longer descents.

I can also recommend the M4, and I actually love this brake enough to call it my favorite brake. The modulation betters the Mini, providing a nicer initial bit, then a nice progression through from pad contact to big braking. This setup, with the M4 in the front, is something I'd well recommend for the OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts