Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently purchased a set of Hope Mono 6ti disc brakes. These brakes were not at all cheap (most expensive brakes you can buy) and therefore I was expecting them to perform better than any other brake as well. I have to say that I'm extremely disapointed with the performance of these brakes. Both front and back brakes don't have nearly as much power as I was expecting. Infact, my old Shimano XT hydraulic brakes have more power and they are less than 1/3 of the price! I am mostly disapointed with the front brake. I have to literally squeeze it as hard as I can to get it to stop? By the time I get to the bottom of a DH run, my hands are very sore and cramped from squeezing so hard (the very reason I bought these brakes in the first place was to avoid this). The levers also seem to have a very spongy feel to them. I have alreadly tried re-bleeding the brakes (both by myself and at a LBS) and even changing the brake pads, but nothing improves the performance. There definitely seems to be something wrong with them.

Is anyone else running these brakes? And if so, are you experiencing any of the problems that I am? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
just gotta be patient bud

The hope pads have a really, and I mean REALLY! long brake in period. Just give them time, they will break in. Everyone I know who I have installed Hopes for have complained for the first couple of weeks, but they can all single digit launch themselves over the bars at this point.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
simple answer.....
your brakes are not setup correctly. if they were, you would not be experiencing anything remotely close to this.......
I'm pretty sure they are setup correctly. I have setup many sets of brakes with no problems, I mean it's really not that hard! And, just to make sure, I took them into my LBS, and they tried setting them up as well, with the same result.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAL said:
The hope pads have a really, and I mean REALLY! long brake in period. Just give them time, they will break in. Everyone I know who I have installed Hopes for have complained for the first couple of weeks, but they can all single digit launch themselves over the bars at this point.
That's what I thought at first. But now the brakes have received close to 2 solid months of Downhilling, and performance hasn't improved. There's no way they're not broken in yet. Even if I squeeze my front brake as hard as I can, it will not launch me over the bars. It won't even bring me to a sudden stop, it will just gradually slow down!
The only answer that Hope has given me is to clean the rotors with alcohol (which I've done many times), and rub the pads with sandpaper to remove an contamination, which also doesn't work. I'm really stumped on this one.
I can't tell you how annoyed I am, spending that much on a set of brakes and then having them perform like this!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well, if they arent bled right, they probably wont break in very well either and you'll never get off the ground. Spongy lever means bad bleed, no two ways about it. Now weither somethings wrong that isnt letting you bleed properly i dont know.

Try over at Ridemonkey, theres a few on the 6Ti's, and there have been some bleed issues with some people for Hopes in general.

Bleeding is a funny thing, it can take me 5 mins for my Hayes, or all freakin night and they still wont feel 100%.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,728 Posts
Freerider said:
I'm pretty sure they are setup correctly. I have setup many sets of brakes with no problems, I mean it's really not that hard! And, just to make sure, I took them into my LBS, and they tried setting them up as well, with the same result.
Hopes are funny that way, it's very easy to bleed them incorectly.....

mine lock up if i just blow on the lever, very powerful

·
Registered
827 Posts
zedro said:
Bleeding is a funny thing, it can take me 5 mins for my Hayes, or all freakin night and they still wont feel 100%.
too bad we don't have an I'm with stupid smiley here. that's what i'd put in this space.

someone on RM recommended torching the pads with a propane torch for 30 seconds, then hit them with a medium grit sandpaper and clean the pads and rotor in isopropyl alcohol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.