Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these Hope Minis for about 3 years now w/o problems. I changed the pads to Kool Stops because I read that the newer Hope pads squeal. Now I have screaming loud squealing with the Koolstops. I called Hope and they said to put them through the dishwasher, thinking they got contaminated. They still squeal and I'm ready to put on earplugs. The whole friggin mtn is going to run away with the noise these things make.

Anyone have this problem, HELP!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
yep....i hate it.

my stock Hope Mini pads squealed so in my infinite wisdom, I bought Kool Stops recently thinking it would solve the problem and guess what, they still squeal. Not sure worse or better....my guess is about the same annoying sound.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No issues here. Used EBC Greens with Minis, have Koolstops with the Mono Minis.

My experience with Hope's is that if you don't have the rotor centered between the pads or they are slightly out of alignment due to the disc mount tabs, it creates a fair bit of noise. Also, pads could be contaminated, try cleaning them off, wiping everything down with iso alcohol to clean unless you got brake fluid on any parts, then use something else to clean.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
No biggie here

myitch said:
I have these Hope Minis for about 3 years now w/o problems. I changed the pads to Kool Stops because I read that the newer Hope pads squeal. Now I have screaming loud squealing with the Koolstops. I called Hope and they said to put them through the dishwasher, thinking they got contaminated. They still squeal and I'm ready to put on earplugs. The whole friggin mtn is going to run away with the noise these things make.

I got Mono Minis and they howl when they get wet or really roasting hot. Other than that, only some minor high pitch squeaking. I hardly notice it.

Good tip about the pads, Mine are due for replacement pretty soon. I've always been a fan of Koolstop stuff, but I may try something else.

·
Registered
734 Posts
myitch said:

I think you got some bad information, the newer Hope (sintered) pads have a little higher graphite content, making them less prone to squealing not more. (sintered pads have some graphite mixed in with the bronze to quiet them) However I think you have a problem as koolstops are not normally noisy either. I would check caliper centering ( with pads out) and if that is OK check the brake mount alignment (facing, you will need a tool to do so)

Squealing brakes are normally attributable to contaminated pads and/or rotors, and out of alignment calipers or poor break in (bedding). BTW I don't think you can put non metal pads in the dishwasher so the advice that hope gave you was for their pads not for the koostops (which are semi-metallic) IMHO if you contaminate semi-metallic (or organic) pads your best bet is to chuck them.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Hope...

dogonfr said:
Make shure tha caliper is centered on the disc, i use Hayes & they take some work. Loosen the caliper slightly roll the wheel & apply the brake, release then hold down, while holding the lever snug the caliper bolts. Galfer make sweet pads & rotors if all else fails http://www.galferusa.com/humanpower/index.html
... brakes adjust position with washers, not by oval mounting holes and an adaptor like Avid or Hayes. There is a definite weight advantage to loosing the adaptor.

To adjust a Hope caliper, you have to figure out which way you want to move the caliper, remove it from the fork/seatstay mounts and add or remove shim washers. Kinda sucks, but they stay adjusted, so you only really have to do this once.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
pimpbot said:
I got Mono Minis and they howl when they get wet or really roasting hot. Other than that, only some minor high pitch squeaking. I hardly notice it.
Good tip about the pads, Mine are due for replacement pretty soon. I've always been a fan of Koolstop stuff, but I may try something else.
Thank you for correcting me, i'v never worked on Hopes as you can tell ;)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice dudes. I tried all of those. The pads and caliper are aligned perfectly. It's gotta be the pads themselves. After 3 years, no problems, then all of a sudden with different pads and I'm singing the blues.

I didn't know about not using the dishwasher for semi-metallics. It may have worked for the rear brake which was also squealing like a cat, but seems alright now. Maybe put the rotor in there too.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
myitch said:
Good idea. I'll just have to try everything. At this point, if that doesn't work, I might even think of switching to a different brake system/brand. I don't want to do that, though, because the Hopes are great brakes. But I can't take it anymore...really, doctor, it's driving me insane...please...please....just don't tie me up in a straight jacket!
Wouldnt waste money on new brakes, my buddy has some Hayes that squeall like yours drives him bonkers. He swaped them out for the Galfers & it fixed the problem. Just remember it's not a guarantee. You will find the fix, hopefully beffor you find the straight jacket. If you go jacket see if you can get a better color than white, bland ;)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dogonfr said:
Try deglazing the pads, i know you washed them!, remove the pads & rough them up on cement or sand papper :)
Good idea. I'll just have to try everything. At this point, if that doesn't work, I might even think of switching to a different brake system/brand. I don't want to do that, though, because the Hopes are great brakes. But I can't take it anymore...really, doctor, it's driving me insane...please...please....just don't tie me up in a straight jacket!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dogonfr said:
Wouldnt waste money on new brakes, my buddy has some Hayes that squeall like yours drives him bonkers. He swaped them out for the Galfers & it fixed the problem. Just remember it's not a guarantee. You will find the fix, hopefully beffor you find the straight jacket. If you go jacket see if you can get a better color than white, bland ;)
Oh, thats funny. Hmm, maybe an outdoor green straight jacket is better.

I'll call and order some Galfers tomorrow. If not, shot me in the morning!

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
myitch said:
Oh, thats funny. Hmm, maybe an outdoor green straight jacket is better.

I'll call and order some Galfers tomorrow. If not, shot me in the morning!
Are you running the older Mini's? I have a bunch of the Galfers in stock for those if you need some.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
734 Posts
myitch said:
Good advice dudes. I tried all of those. The pads and caliper are aligned perfectly. It's gotta be the pads themselves. After 3 years, no problems, then all of a sudden with different pads and I'm singing the blues.

I didn't know about not using the dishwasher for semi-metallics. It may have worked for the rear brake which was also squealing like a cat, but seems alright now. Maybe put the rotor in there too.
It is a good idea to put both the pads and the rotors in the dishwasher (when you do it) but mark the pads and rotors (F, R and L, R) so you put everything back in the same place (or you will have to re-bed them). Also (in case the guy at hope didn't make it clear) use dishwasher detergent (normal amount) and the pot-scrubber option on (if you have it)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
Did you get ahold of Ventaarama or order the pads?
Found this https://www.velvetgarden.net/images/photos/20040226-20.jpg :eek:
OH, now that is soo funny. I nearly busted a gut when I saw that one. And they do have a cool purple one! Since its been too wet I haven't gotten to ride yet. Let me ride with the newly washed pads before I order the forest green straight jacket or shot myself.

Damn, that was funny!!!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
myitch said:
OH, now that is soo funny. I nearly busted a gut when I saw that one. And they do have a cool purple one! Since its been too wet I haven't gotten to ride yet. Let me ride with the newly washed pads before I order the forest green straight jacket or shot myself.
Damn, that was funny!!!
Dont make me go look for a bullet now :p, thought you might enjoy. Purple ay ;). Brakes suck! when noisy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts