Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some Hope Mini's on my 1FG and they are not locking up the back wheel when fully squeezed. The back wheel slightly keeps on turning, do they need to be bleed? I did get my hands and fingers all over the rotors when installing, maybe they need to be cleaned? First set of disk brakes and they are all new to me.
tHaNkS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Break in..

They will take a few rides to break in. Mine were the same way when I first got them but now they are great, definately clean that rotor though.

scanjok said:
I just put some Hope Mini's on my 1FG and they are not locking up the back wheel when fully squeezed. The back wheel slightly keeps on turning, do they need to be bleed? I did get my hands and fingers all over the rotors when installing, maybe they need to be cleaned? First set of disk brakes and they are all new to me.
tHaNkS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmm... I'm hoping mine break in and work better too.

My ride is 31lbs and I'm 172lbs. I have both my levers adjusted out as far as possible.
They don't lock up very well, mind you up running a 140mm in the rear. My front is a 170mm and it won't lock up yet. Had the bike about a week.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You probably have checked already but there is a small metric allen on my Hope Mini's that's right on the underside of the brake levers. Sometimes mine come loose on a rough ride and as they back off, the stopping power tends to lessen a bit. Something to check out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
scanjok said:
tHaNkS
If you lever goes all the way to the h-bar in what you are describing above, take your wheel out and sqeeze the lever 1/3 or 1/2 way in. The pads will readjust closer to the rotor. If they will be too close you can use flat screwdriver to pry them back.

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
I had some marginal power, squishy handle problems on my Hope setup too. It ended up being poor alignment of the caliper over the disk. If the caliper is not very precisely aligned over the disc so that it pinches it dead squarely, the handle will be squishy and the braking power will be weak. Once the the caliper is properly aligned, it suddenly has good stopping power and great modulation....its a dramatic difference from a seemingly minor adjustment. Also, as already mentioned use the adjustment on the handle to get more travel out of the lever (if needed).

I ended up buying the fancy Hope facing tool that is used to machine the disc tab to be precisely perpendicular to the axle-axis (you can see it on the Hope website). Sometimes the bike's disc tab is a little out of square from sloppy fabricating and/or slight plate distortion from weld heat. If yours is out of square it may be impossible to get the caliper mounted just right using the crappy shimming system (which are the Hopes weakest point). The shimming system will take some time to get used to, but you must struggle with it before your caliper will be perfectly aligned...keep fussing and trying until you get the hang of it. Adjust it best you can, go for a nice ride...check it out again, and adjust again if needed...repeat the process until its just right. And consider having your disc tab machined too just to be sure.

"Hope" this helps.

scanjok said:
tHaNkS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts