Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the reviews are not that conclusive, is it safe to presume that the older/discontinued Hope Mini discs are more popular and sought after than the newer Mono Mini for xc riders? I'm a Hope newbie so please excuse me if this is a totally moronic post.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
danK said:
While the reviews are not that conclusive, is it safe to presume that the older/discontinued Hope Mini discs are more popular and sought after than the newer Mono Mini for xc riders? I'm a Hope newbie so please excuse me if this is a totally moronic post.
I have the new Mono M4 on one rig, and the old Mono Mini are going on my SS rig.

my comparative thoughts:

old Mini tolerates different rotor sizes

new Mini has caliper redesign to prevent occasional power loss through separating caliper halves, but I am not so sure that the separation was an issue

if you care at all about looks, most folks find the old Mini "industrial" and the new Mono Mini "bling bling"
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
danK said:
While the reviews are not that conclusive, is it safe to presume that the older/discontinued Hope Mini discs are more popular and sought after than the newer Mono Mini for xc riders? I'm a Hope newbie so please excuse me if this is a totally moronic post.
I wouldn't agree with that one, having owned both I think the Mono Mini is definitely the superior brake. More power, better looks, and seems less prone to fade from overheating.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ventanarama said:
I wouldn't agree with that one, having owned both I think the Mono Mini is definitely the superior brake. More power, better looks, and seems less prone to fade from overheating.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
All the Mini sets on eBay are going for about $200 before $8 s/h (this is for used Minis). Brand new Mono Minis are going for about $300 shipped. If you were a consumer and not a dealer would you think it'd be worth the extra $92 for the newer Mono Minis? Obviously I'm a cheap bastard.

Uh oh, now I'm thinking, "May as well pay a bit more for the Hayes El Camino." Never mind on that one!

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
I've heard that the old Minis were squealers?

Are, the Mono Minis squealers as well?

I'm deciding between Martas and Mono Minis... (I've had the Martas, and love them...)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
donkekus said:
I've heard that the old Minis were squealers?

Are, the Mono Minis squealers as well?

I'm deciding between Martas and Mono Minis... (I've had the Martas, and love them...)
my Mono M4 were dead silent for the first 10 - 15 hrs of operation and now they sound like every other Hope disc brake I've ridden or heard. prone to occasional squeals, but not a problem to me or my ears.

jeez, just get the old Minis already, will ya? ;) :D

but on 2d thought I really can't say, I've got Louise FR coming for my big bike and that will be my first time on Magura disc brakes. never ridden Martas. have HS-33 on the rear of my SS and love the modulation and the power's pretty nice for a rim brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gonzostrike said:
my Mono M4 were dead silent for the first 10 - 15 hrs of operation and now they sound like every other Hope disc brake I've ridden or heard. prone to occasional squeals, but not a problem to me or my ears.

jeez, just get the old Minis already, will ya? ;) :D

but on 2d thought I really can't say, I've got Louise FR coming for my big bike and that will be my first time on Magura disc brakes. never ridden Martas. have HS-33 on the rear of my SS and love the modulation and the power's pretty nice for a rim brake.
I've had great luck with Magura since my HS33 days. Had a few of their hydros; even the Julie did an admirable job for 6 months. Maybe I should look into them again.... but their prices are kinda high for the Martas.

My Hayes Mags gave me nothing but trouble. And yes, I know the vast majority have no such issues with the usually unflappable Hayes. Guess I could go back to Magura since their customer service is good just like Hayes, but part of me wants something different with great performance and the Hopes are just that.

Thanks for all the input.
 

·
Daniel the Dog
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Magura customer services is unbelievable!

danK said:
I've had great luck with Magura since my HS33 days. Had a few of their hydros; even the Julie did an admirable job for 6 months. Maybe I should look into them again.... but their prices are kinda high for the Martas.

My Hayes Mags gave me nothing but trouble. And yes, I know the vast majority have no such issues with the usually unflappable Hayes. Guess I could go back to Magura since their customer service is good just like Hayes, but part of me wants something different with great performance and the Hopes are just that.

Thanks for all the input.
Among the best I have ever received. Just fantastic...for Germans :). I'm a German you PC hate sensitive types.

Jaybo
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top