Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new wheel set from Stans through the LBS. I have a Hope SS rear hub and it has a considerable amount of drag. Held in the frame by a skewer I can barely make it spin 5 revolutions. Out of the frame does a little better at around 7. This is just spinning by hand with no chain or resistance from the freewheel. Is this normal for a new rear Hope hub? The front seems to spin fine. Any searches I've done on this with Hope+drag only come up with comments on how little drag the Hope hubs have???

I'm going back to the LBS tomorrow, I'd like to know your experiences with this so I can call BS (or not) if they try telling me it just needs "broken in".

Thanks for your reply's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adamcoop280 said:
Not worried though - I figure the bearings will break-in in time. I've had Hope Pro IIs before that spin extremely smoothly.
hopefully so. I pulled of the end caps and it didn't help so I do think it could be the bearings and not the seals. Do bearings normally need broke in? The front hub already spins real nice. I've bought Velomax wheels in the past for a road bike and they've always spun super smooth, even when new.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
My rear Bulb took forever to loosen up. Mind you, they're still solid as a rock after 1.5yrs of use and two rain seasons.

Hope CS warned me against going too light or too much lubrication on the freewheel. Too much and the pawls may stick and too light and the oil could go to the bearings (which is a bad thing also, bearings like grease not oil).

That was for a Bulb, the Pro II is slightly different. The pawls have better leaf springs so less chances of sticking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.