Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got most of the way done with swapping the axle on my pro 2 rear hub from QR to 12mm TA. Pretty easy with the online vid. However on reassembly the guy in the youtube vid mentions that you need some special hub tools to get the bearings back in without damage. They look like deep drive sockets without the hex on the inside. He specifically mentions using these instead of sockets as the sockets are likely to damage the bearings.

So.... Anyone ever do this? Is his warning a scare tactic to buy the tools, or legit? And if legit, where the hell can I buy these things? I googled and can't find anywhere.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like them, the part numbers are different than listed in hope's video though. But they clearly say for hope pro 2.

·
Registered
488 Posts
big_slacker said:
That looks like them, the part numbers are different than listed in hope's video though. But they clearly say for hope pro 2.
I have the kit from ukbikestore. It contains all you need to deal with both front&rear hope pro 2 bearings. Maybe it's a little bit too expensive for what it is, but it makes rebuilding the hubs really easy. No hassle with searching for properly sized sockets, etc.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shapirus said:
I have the kit from ukbikestore. It contains all you need to deal with both front&rear hope pro 2 bearings. Maybe it's a little bit too expensive for what it is, but it makes rebuilding the hubs really easy. No hassle with searching for properly sized sockets, etc.
Cool, but they don't ship to the states anymore. I might be able to find it somewhere else though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
You MIGHT get away with a socket.

If you don't - you will have to do it all again in a short time because you will have, without knowing, damaged either the seals or the bearing races and their alignment. You can also damage the axle and the hub. The tools cost less than a second bearing replacement and make the job a doddle. Its entirely at your risk.

The tools you want are pro II 61903 BRGS rear d/side and pro II 61903 BRGS rear non/drive side. As mentioned by "brent878" you can get them (when they are in stock) from Chain Reaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8032

The tool for the freehub seal is also useful - HTT175 :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28390

I find it weird that CR are frequently out of stock of Hope tools, spares etc... I don't know why they don't order more ? Every time they are back in stock they are sold out again in no time at all. It's the same with the Hope Pro II stainless steel free-hub bodies. There is rarely a shortage of the alloy free-hub bodies though ;) ... But maybe I'm just cynical.

Seriously, Hope Pro II are great hubs and excellent value BECAUSE you can service them and purchase the necessary tools and the parts required. You can easily service them on vacation if necessary, a long way from bike stores, and without ruining your vacation as would be the case with more complex gear - although IF you stay on top of servicing this is unlikely to be necessary.

I have replaced the alloy free-hub with the stainless option, but keep the alloy (with its three bearings) as a spare in my mobile bike toolbox just in case. It also has 4 spare pawls and springs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts