Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you get these state side with out ordering them from a UK web site?:confused: I saw in MBA that they are going to have ZTR rims now instead of DT Swiss. I want to get a set but I would preffer to get them from the LBS instead of on-line. I am having a hard time finding any info on them on-line anyways. :madman:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Can't your LBS get the parts in and build them? Then you can pick which rims you get, (and spokes too).

Or if you are adventerous you might consider buying the parts and rolling your own as it were. Lots of good sites out there to help - Mike T's got one, and Sheldon Brown's site had a good set of instructions too.

JmZ

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been wanting to order from Mike at odds and endos, but these are quite a bit cheaper, for basically the same wheel I would have him build. 5.1 or flow?

No the 2 good lbs don't build wheels, they told me to call Mike at odds and endos. Just said he is awesome. Can' fault them for being honest. The other LBS would build a wheel set up , but they don't deserve any more of my business after some bad dealings.

I would like to try to build my own wheels I just don't know about the risk to reward ratio on a first wheel build. seems like it is an art.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
At least call and talk with Mike. He's a straight shooter. It can't hurt to at least price check, eh?

I've bought stuff from Mike, supples for my own wheelbuild. So all I can say is I've heard he builds good wheels, but no direct experience. Many others on here can chime in though. (I'm considering having him build my next set though...)

My first wheels are still rolling, and I didn't build overly conserative either. 400g rim, double butted spokes, and a MachineTech hub. Still rolling several years later on the wife's bike. Built several sets after that. Only had one taco so far (and that was because I - a 200 pound rider - was jumping with a sub 400g rim that needed a bit more tension. Totally my fault. Rode it well above intended usage.)

Take a look at Mike's T directions http://www.miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

It really isn't that hard if you have some mechanical ability and some patience. The only downside about building your own, is that your parts might cost more than a built wheel by Larry or Mike.

It isn't fair to compare handbuilt to a machine built wheel. Most of 'em are not built anywhere near as good as handbuilt. Even when the same parts are used. Once you get a wheel or two under your belt - you can 'fix' a prebuilt wheel.

I went with a cheaper pre-built several years ago (just before I learned to build my own for some strange reason...) and saved a few bucks, but after having them re-trued for the 4th time in a season... I lost that advantage. Ended up tacoing it too. Replaced it with a handbuilt that's still in use 11 years later.

JmZ

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did talk to Mike G at odds and endos for a good while. It was a few months ago though. I will speak with him before I order anything else just to see where he prices would be in comparison. I want to go with a wheel set from him , but I am on a budget and have to be as frugal as I can.

As far as Handbuilt vs machine built mynext wheel set will be hand built for sure. The hope hoops are hand built at the hope factory. They are a really good deal supplied with spare spokes ( dt swiss) ,front 20mm conversion ,rim tape etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.