Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike_freak said:
They do look nice, but they aren't floating. It is just a cool way of attatching the alloy carrier ot the disk...
My fault - I just once received an email from Chainreactioncycles and they called them floating rotors so I just continued calling them floating thinking that attatching a steel surface to a alu-spider was called floating :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't find those on the chainreaction.com website. What's the real modelname?
I have xtr centerlock rotors, and I figured that if I get those 160 mm hope rotors and dt swiss adapters to both ends, I will save some weight... Would it be smarter just to buy stans?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The rotors are designed to float "out" as they expand due to heat build up. This is to stop them warping in use. They do not float side to side like motorcycle rotors.

Well, that's what Hope said. The cynic in me says they brought them out as they look so cool and are lighter.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
My 180 looks a bit different than those 2. I like those better. I haven't had a chance to weigh mine, but boy they don't feel that light.

1 thing i noticed that i didn't like was it is harder to 'true' the rotor using the thumb pushing method. While the rotor does not float, it does move side to side just enough to thwart any thumb truing, or at least make the truing tougher to do.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
It should be knows that those rotors do float laterally (those are my pics btw) a bit, unlike the rotors for the M4 and M6, which are pinned securely in place.

Those rotors pictured are indeed 140/160mm. You'll also notice that the Al carrier is shaped differently for those rotors than the ones used on the M4 or larger sized Mini rotors. The carrier thickness on the rotors pictured is about 2/3 that of their other "floating" ones.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
leichtreiter said:
so the rotors in 140/160/180 mm are the new lightweight floating rotors and actually don't float (sideways) whereas the real floating ones are xx5mm (eg 185mm) in outer diameter, yes?
No sir. The ones pictured above (which are mine) are 140/160 mm. They're also the lightweight rotors which you can tell by the carrier design. AND they float.

I don't know what 180mm rotor you get packaged with the Mini these days, but the 180 and 160 rotors for the M4's on my trail bike are 2-piece rotors, with a much heavier duty center carrier and they DO NOT float. They're pinned in place.

Light rotors float
heavy rotors don't

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
My '05 Mono Minis came with those rotors. No problem so far. One side note, changing front hub to King now makes the pads squeal badly. Sanding, alignment, cleaning rotor, makes no difference. I'm gonna try some Kool Stop pads. I have a 180 up front and a 160 in the rear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.