Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i've been toying with the idea of getting the hope rotors and going to 203mm upfront and 180mm rear, however by accident i've come across a few posts saying there's the possibility of them not fitting properly with non-Hope brakes and having to file parts of the caliper off, has anyone had this problem? Don't want to attack my caliper while it's brand new

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I tried it with Formula RO's and went back to the Formula rotors. Rear is 180mm for formula and 183 for Hope. Even using a Hope 183 adapter it just never fit right. The Hope rotors also seem a bit thicker than formula and I could never get them to run drag free.

I already had hope rotors and hope caliper mounts and tried pretty much every combo I could to get them to work with Formula brakes. It just never worked as well as it should have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot pal, i'm wanting to get a set of Hope E4's in the long run, £350's just a hard price to swallow on a student allowance, will have to shift the Formula's to fund them then

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have Formula The One brakes and run Hope floating rotors. Yes I had to file a bit of the inside face of the caliper mounting boss to clear the bobbins that attach the rotor to carrier. It wasn't a lot, and not overly visible since it is hidden by the rotor. Very happy with the combination in the end, but not as easy as bolt it on and go.
I suspect you'd have the same problem with other brake systems from Formula and Hope floating rotors.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
I had my Formula RX brakes running with Hopes floating rotors (180f, 160r). I had some rub and had to insert a washer between the fork IS mounts the brake calipers to give me some adjustment space. It worked fine.

I'm replacing the Hope rotors with Shimano ICE-tech after upgrading my rear wheel w/ centerlock hub (want matching rotors).

Basically i've been toying with the idea of getting the hope rotors and going to 203mm upfront and 180mm rear, however by accident i've come across a few posts saying there's the possibility of them not fitting properly with non-Hope brakes and having to file parts of the caliper off, has anyone had this problem? Don't want to attack my caliper while it's brand new

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've had no problems at all running RO's and 203F hope and 180R hope rotors.

The tab thingies get fairly close but I have never had any rub. I used formula adaptors and once I rechecked that the pad/rotor was centered all has been perfect.

·
Registered
159 Posts
has anyone used other floating rotors successfully with formula T1s or RX? I'm finding the 24mm piston and larger size pad that formula uses requires a wider (not thicker, if you get what I'm describing) rotor size. I've been running Avid rotors, but they're a lousy fit and I'm wearing down a part just inside the ID of the rotor contact area too quickly. It looks like Shimano rotors are a good option, but I'm curious if anyone has used other products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.