Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post here. I just bought a Santa Cruz Blur that the previous owner converted to hydraulic brakes. It's got Hope Mini #5 on the front. I was trying to change out the pads but the screw holding the pads in is seized and won't come out. I'd like to swap out the caliper, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alternatively, can I use a different caliper without changing anything else out? I realize these are retro brakes, but I don't want to spend a ton of money changing them out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Have you given up on trying to remove the retaining bolt?
Sometimes using needle nose vice grips on the exposed portion between the pads works to loosen it.
Sometimes inserting an allen key in the bolt head and tapping on it with a small hammer/wrench will loosen it from vibration. You're not tapping the key in an effort to turn it, you're just tapping on it like a finishing nail and trying to get vibration to loosen thinks up. Lots of light taps can do it.
Ebay and Pinkbike can be a good source for used and new parts.
Many of the closeout online retailers-price point, jenson, blue sky- will have newer brakes for cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts