Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build a new wheelset the first part of the year when Salsa gets their Delgado disc rims out. I just built a new set for my hardtail using Hope bulb rear and XC front and really like them. My new set I was planning on the same hub combo but I've been thinking about King hubs. I've never owned any King hubs and have only ridden on them for just a short spin. My questions is, are the King hubs really worth the extra money?

Some info, I'm 220#'s and the set will be used on a full suspension 29er on mainly XC southeast rocky trails.

Thanks,
Steve

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
If you like your bulbs, then I would buy another set. I almost wish that I would have bought those versus my King's, as I'm wanting to switch from a QR fork to a 20mm and the market for just a front wheel probably isn't great.

Hadleys are sweet too. I like their price/quality, but they're not a convertable front hub either. Fortunately, I scored a pre-price-hike King wheelset for a deal I couldn't pass up so I went that route. I like my Kings, but it's been like 8 months and the freehub still drags while coasting & backpedaling. Maybe they'll be broken-in by next year:)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
bikerx40 said:
If you like your bulbs, then I would buy another set. I almost wish that I would have bought those versus my King's, as I'm wanting to switch from a QR fork to a 20mm and the market for just a front wheel probably isn't great.

Hadleys are sweet too. I like their price/quality, but they're not a convertable front hub either. Fortunately, I scored a pre-price-hike King wheelset for a deal I couldn't pass up so I went that route. I like my Kings, but it's been like 8 months and the freehub still drags while coasting & backpedaling. Maybe they'll be broken-in by next year:)
Hey, rx.

You might want to open up the freehub body. My King was dragging too and I finally opened it up. There was some dirt in there, nothing major, but enough to cause the drag. After a bit of cleaning with Simple Green, it spins better than when they were brand new. On the King website are instructions, very simple. You don't need the King hub tool either, unless you want to clean every nook and cranny.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
myitch said:
Hey, rx.

You might want to open up the freehub body. My King was dragging too and I finally opened it up. There was some dirt in there, nothing major, but enough to cause the drag. After a bit of cleaning with Simple Green, it spins better than when they were brand new. On the King website are instructions, very simple. You don't need the King hub tool either, unless you want to clean every nook and cranny.
Thanks. That is after two full cleanings. It was better after the rebuild, but I think that the overly packed bearings and stout seals may be the culprit. This winter I'll repack the bearings with something else and see if they can spin a bit better.

M

·
0 Posts
i like my kings, but lately i have heard a lot of people touting the DT 240S. when the time comes for a custom wheel build for the wife i will be buying a set of the DT's.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
cruzthepug said:
I'm going to build a new wheelset the first part of the year when Salsa gets their Delgado disc rims out. I just built a new set for my hardtail using Hope bulb rear and XC front and really like them. My new set I was planning on the same hub combo but I've been thinking about King hubs. I've never owned any King hubs and have only ridden on them for just a short spin. My questions is, are the King hubs really worth the extra money?

Some info, I'm 220#'s and the set will be used on a full suspension 29er on mainly XC southeast rocky trails.

Thanks,
Steve
i've got a hope bulb rear and a king rear, both paired with hope bulb 20mm fronts on the bikes.

the king *is* nice and blingy, but i'd go for hope again with no problems. i've not had any difficulty with either hub.

i suppose it depends on how deep your wallet it feeling. the kings are fo sho more money to get into. but if you aren't having any problems with your current bulbs, why not go for them again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts