Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to purchase a set of Hope brakes for my Scott Ransom 10.

I'm undecided on these 2 setups:

1) Pair of Tech M4s - 183 rotor up front and 160 rotor on the rear

or

2) M4 on the front - 183mm rotor
X2 on the rear - 183mm rotor

Do you think there would be much difference in braking power between a Tech X2 with a 183mm rotor vs a Tech M4 with a 160mm rotor? Does anyone know what the weight difference would be? I'm guessing it would be pretty similar??? (total stab in the dark though)

Any thought's from people with direct M4/X2 experince would be greatly appreciated.

My riding consists of XC plus light DH, long climbs followed by long descents. My bike weighs 13kg.

I'm currently running XT servowave brakes (180 rotor on front, 160 rotor on the rear) and enjoy the reliabilty. But I'm looking for some bling with a power increase... and a similar weight to my XTs (if not lighter).

Thanks,

Steven

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
i think the m4 is awsome i have just gone fullbore and put a 203 on the front and a 183 on the rear the hope in my book is the best you can get, some say otherwise. many go for the smaler caliper and not the 4pot of the m4 but its what ever you want.
all i will say is no matter what hope you get you will never go back to normal run of the mill discs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
sausagedog said:
i think the m4 is awsome i have just gone fullbore and put a 203 on the front and a 183 on the rear the hope in my book is the best you can get aside from the v2, some say otherwise. many go for the smaler caliper and not the 4pot of the m4 but its what ever you want.
all i will say is no matter what hope you get you will never go back to normal run of the mill discs.
there ya go!

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
For that riding, I would go M4 front and rear. I would also suggest going 183 rotors front and rear with the possibility of going 205 front and 183 rear, that will give you awesome power, modulation, and heat resistance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I've decided on the M4 front and rear :thumbsup: I'll seriously consider bigger rotors as well.

I'm looking at Hope floating rotors... are there any clearance issues on a Rockshox Revelation (2010 Team Dual Air)? I see there are issues for some Fox forks but haven't found anything posted on Rockshox forks so far. The new Revelation is post mount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.