Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy I work with told me that hope brakes have poor modulation, and hte levers come almost all the way back to the bar to get anything out of em. he read that in bicycle magazine. I'm thinking the poor modulation is just the tester just nitpicking,
as far as the levers coming almost all the way to the bar.... ?!!?! out of adjustment/in need of bleeding? sounds like BS to me.... any experiences here with problems like that?

I really want to get a Hope M4 mono for the front and a mono mini for the rear of my bike... as far as I can tell they're great brakes....

anything else i should know

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
endurowanker said:
a guy I work with told me that hope brakes have poor modulation, and hte levers come almost all the way back to the bar to get anything out of em. he read that in bicycle magazine. I'm thinking the poor modulation is just the tester just nitpicking,
as far as the levers coming almost all the way to the bar.... ?!!?! out of adjustment/in need of bleeding? sounds like BS to me.... any experiences here with problems like that?

I really want to get a Hope M4 mono for the front and a mono mini for the rear of my bike... as far as I can tell they're great brakes....

anything else i should know
I've been a long-time Hope user (older C2 Pros, Minis and Mono Minis), as well as many other brakes (Formula B4, Formula B4 SLs, Formula B4 SL+, Shimano XTR/XT and now Magura Marta SLs).

Hopes are beautifully CNC'd and exquisite. Each Hope brake was good and each brake got progressively better with each new model release (C2 Pro -> Mini -> Mono Mini). I did like the Monos better than the Minis, which use the same levers, but different calipers and rotors. The bulk of the Mono's weight savings comes from the lighter, smaller rotors. The single-piece caliper of the Mono makes the brake lever feel firmer and more crisp vs the 2-piece design of the Mini. During hard lever pulls, I could see the Mini calipers splitting and a slight amount of DOT fluid escaping through the caliper seam. Granted, I never noticed any ill effects during actual riding. Power and modulation were adequate, but definitely not on-par with the offerings from Formula and Magura.

Some of the negatives I had with the Monos were related to noise and feel.

There have been numerous complaints about howling, screaming, etc. Monos...mine would often be very, very noisy. Mostly in the wet, but often in the dry, too. Very frustrating and annoying. None of my other brakes were nearly as noisy as the Monos.

Lever feel, while nice, just felt dead to me. I found it very difficult to actually feel the brakes. I could tell the brakes had engaged, but there was just no residual feedback coming back through the brakes to indicate how the brakes were responding to the pull and trail.

The Formula B4 SLs (and SL+) and Magura Marta SL definitely have an edge over the Monos in terms of shear power and modulation, but also in quietness. Also, lever feel is just so much better. Lastly, each company has second-to-none customer service. I've been less than impressed with Hope's customer service in the past.

Keep in mind my experiences are based on XC racing, riding and training only. I'm 140lbs. Also, the Monos I used were 160/140mm rotors (Formulas also use 160/140, but the Martas use 160/160). Your results may vary.

So, to answer your questions. The lack of modulation is not necessarily a tester nitpicking. Modulation is a hard thing to quantify, but you can feel it. If it is there, you'll know it. If it's not, you'll know it, too. For me, the Monos just did not have the modulation of the other top-end brakes I've used.

The levers coming all the way to the bars is definitely an indication of faulty/poor set-up. A properly bled brake (be it, Mono, Marta, etc.) will not have this problem. The tester should have properly installed and bled the brakes prior to reviewing them. Slamming a brake because of poor user installation is incorrect.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the info....

I think I'm gonna go with mono M4's front and rear. That way I can have the same pads and rotors and other spare parts fit the back and front. Also, the M4s seem to get generally better reviews with less complaint of squeal...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts