Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the 6pots to replace my Avids on my Bullit. Are they worth the extra $$ over the 4's? Are the 6 pistons overkill? I was looking at the Hayes, but I really want to get the Hopes from everything ive heard, plus they look sick.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
...

To be honest, I was thinking about getting 6pot Grimeca. Well, I think that front 6pot - maybe, rear - not worth it. I say if you're not getting enough power to stop you, try changing pads. If it doesn't help, you may try unloading cash for 6pot Hope. I tried DH4 I think it was with 8" rotors, the power was excellent. So it's totally up to you. Just ask yourself if you need it...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I dont NEED it, but I want it :D Im probably going to get the 6pot 8inch for the front and a 6pot 6/7inch for the rear. Ill get pics when Im done. I have enough power to stop, its just the modulation isnt very good on the avids, and they tend to overheat sometimes in DH races...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
DJrider04 said:
Well, I dont NEED it, but I want it :D Im probably going to get the 6pot 8inch for the front and a 6pot 6/7inch for the rear. Ill get pics when Im done. I have enough power to stop, its just the modulation isnt very good on the avids, and they tend to overheat sometimes in DH races...
Are you talking about avid mechanicals that you dont like? Or the new juicies?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mechs, I was going to get the Juicys, but ive been hearing a few bad things about them. Depending on how cheap I can get the 6 pots, I might just get the 4pots instead. I was looking at the Hayes, and like the way they feel...but, eh....so many choices.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,745 Posts
DJrider04 said:
Thinking about getting the 6pots to replace my Avids on my Bullit. Are they worth the extra $$ over the 4's? Are the 6 pistons overkill? I was looking at the Hayes, but I really want to get the Hopes from everything ive heard, plus they look sick.
If cash is an issue, consider the Magura Gustav. The one I felt was clearly the best brake I have ever felt. Granted, the lever ergonomics could use a little work, but it was the best combo of power and modulation I have yet to see.

I am currently running the Hope Mono M4s, and I am about to move to Magura Louise FR brakes based on a direct comparison to a coworker's brakes. His brakes cost less, have more power and have better modulation, which are sometimes mutually exclusive. I don't like the shape of the lever as much, but I really need to stay in control when the trails are past 45deg of slope for awhile and my brakes are really hot, so Magura it is. Too bad really, my Hopes are just so sexy...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
i got the m4 in the rear and 6pots up front..
they are awesome, stoping power is incredible..
i wanted to get the 6 in the rear, but it seems worthless IMO, the weight goes to the front anyways..
ps be careful not to go over the handle bars whe stopping :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the OTHER one I was considering was the Gustavs. Theyve been around a while, not really changed design, and heard really good things about them. I also heard that the hopes dont have the best modulation. Ill read up a bit more, and see how cheap I can find the Gustavs. Either way, theyre both sick brakes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Gustav's are excellent...

DJrider04 said:
Thats the OTHER one I was considering was the Gustavs. Theyve been around a while, not really changed design, and heard really good things about them. I also heard that the hopes dont have the best modulation. Ill read up a bit more, and see how cheap I can find the Gustavs. Either way, theyre both sick brakes.
...but everyone knows that I'm a Magura whore. The Louise FR are great brakes too - way less money than the Gustavs - but they certainly don't have the stopping power or heat disipation that the Gustav's do. I like the feel of the Louise FR levers - totally solid - and the performance is really good to, similar stopping power to other 8" brakes, but with fantastic modulation.

The Gustav has WAY more stopping power, but that comes with a higher price, weight, and a tiny bit of freerunning drag. Still, they are my personal brake of choice for any serious riding.

Oh ya, Magura customer service is excellent too.

I haven't ridde the Hope 6 pot brakes, so I can't do a comparison between them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Modulation, power, heat dispertion, stuff like that. Mechs arent the best for dh racing :D theyre goin on my HT.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top