Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a guide on how to do a 180-degree hop turn? I'm talking about what you need for real tight (or loose) switchback that can't be rolled through, but you've got room to do two 180 degree hop turns and stay on the bike. I'm always working on balance during fully braked hops, but I'm not seeing how to work towards stable hop turns.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
bogey said:
Anyone know of a guide on how to do a 180-degree hop turn? I'm talking about what you need for real tight (or loose) switchback that can't be rolled through, but you've got room to do two 180 degree hop turns and stay on the bike. I'm always working on balance during fully braked hops, but I'm not seeing how to work towards stable hop turns.
Maybe find a trials webiste?? There was a good one, but I forgot the website:(

You would probably be better off learning pivots... such as doing a small front endo and swinging the rear end round...

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
You're much better off rolling a nose pivot on a tight downhill switchback than trying a hop turn.

If you're intent on learning a hop turn, focus on your hips and shoulders. Too many people try to just jerk the bike around by doing a little "cheater" hop and twisting. It's really a lot more complicated than that.

Let's say you're right foot forward...you do these things simultaneously

put some power into the pedal
push the left grip down and forward
pull the right grip up and back
and twist your hips and shoulder around to the right
all while doing a bunny hop

You should also be looking where you want your body to be pointing when you've completed the move. It's difficult to describe, but keep at it and you'll continually learn little tweaks that will make it work for you. Once you get proficient, you'll be able to do 180 bunnyhops as high as your body will let you.

check out www.observedtrials.net and register to view the movies people post. You're bound to learn something.

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
Try to pivot instead; it’s easy enough I can do it. Go about 5 mph up to the corner and lock up your front break while leaning forward. As soon as the back tire lifts twist the handlebars with your arms, and push with your legs and hips to swing the back end around. Once you get that down try to turn your wheel before you lock up the breaks, takes practice but you can then swing the back tire 180 degrees. Sometimes I lock up the back tire and through my weight back after so you can move your front a few inches. Hope this helps.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
The Lone Wolf said:
Try to pivot instead; it's easy enough I can do it. Go about 5 mph up to the corner and lock up your front break while leaning forward. As soon as the back tire lifts twist the handlebars with your arms, and push with your legs and hips to swing the back end around. Once you get that down try to turn your wheel before you lock up the breaks, takes practice but you can then swing the back tire 180 degrees. Sometimes I lock up the back tire and through my weight back after so you can move your front a few inches. Hope this helps.
ya this technique will be much easier to learn than a full 180 degree turn on a rocky trail. better get practicing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.