Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a wheel-building virgin that is.. i finished my first wheel last night. kinda pround :D at first i tried to make it with the flower-pattern:

but the flowers kinda disappeared as time went on:

the setup:
XT 765 36h
rhynolite 36h
36 x DT comp
--> all silver :cool:

BUT: since i don't own a tensiometer, i don't really know how much tension is enough. i read somewhere that an F# was a good indication if you judge it by listening. the drive side is a little tighter than F#, non-drive side is a little bit looser. any thoughts on this? i'm 240 smooth riding lbs btw..

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
langen said:
BUT: since i don't own a tensiometer, i don't really know how much tension is enough. i read somewhere that an F# was a good indication if you judge it by listening. the drive side is a little tighter than F#, non-drive side is a little bit looser. any thoughts on this? i'm 240 smooth riding lbs btw..
Good job! I know the feeling. When I first built up mine, I went to a LBS to get the tension measured, so that I could be sure, and so that I could gloat a bit about it being my first wheel built. :D Anyway, the tension is always higher on the drive side, that's due to the distance from center to flange on that side being shorter and the spokes needing to pull the rim over to their side a little. If you squeeze the to neighboring spokes, two at a time and go all the way around and it feels about equal, your tension is in the ball park at the very least. Also, I don't wanna be a show stopper, but did you make sure to unwind the spokes? Otherwise, on your first ride, you'll hear pinging from the wheel and you'll need to throw the wheel back on the truing stand as the spoke tension got uneven.

_MK

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - always great to get advice from someone with more kudos in the experience-department :)

at least the wheel is a fair bit tighter than the old wheel, so i guess it should be OK. only way to know for sure is to chech how straight the wheel is in a week or two i guess..regarding wind-up: i did the "overshoot and backlash" maneuver as advised by sheldon brown, so i hope the spokes hasn't wound up too much

only thing left is the maiden voyage - commuting to work tomorrow with studs and all :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.