Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which should i get? i ride alot of urban and dirt jumps. i'm thinking either holy rollers or hookworms but i'm leaning toward the hookworms. i need something thick that'll resist pinch flats but i also want them to do well at the dj's. do those tiny knobs on holy rollers actually give anymore traction than hookworms? in the mud i've always just seen the knobs on them get filled and really slick. other good tire suggestions are welcome, the big thing is I DON"T WANT PINCH FLATS!!!

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
PLURPIMPIN said:
which should i get? i ride alot of urban and dirt jumps. i'm thinking either holy rollers or hookworms but i'm leaning toward the hookworms. i need something thick that'll resist pinch flats but i also want them to do well at the dj's. do those tiny knobs on holy rollers actually give anymore traction than hookworms? in the mud i've always just seen the knobs on them get filled and really slick. other good tire suggestions are welcome, the big thing is I DON"T WANT PINCH FLATS!!!
Pump up your tires more. I ride a Kenda K-RAD in back and a Holy Roller in front on my hardtail. I ride a ton of street on it too and I like the combo so far. Just make sure your tires are rock hard.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coma13 said:
Pump up your tires more. I ride a Kenda K-RAD in back and a Holy Roller in front on my hardtail. I ride a ton of street on it too and I like the combo so far. Just make sure your tires are rock hard.
i run like 70 psi, air pressure isn't my problem

·
Registered
297 Posts
i love the hookworms. i ran one in the rear on my bmx bike and a knob job on the front, but the hookworms are great, no pinch flats, but they tend to slide out in mud and snow

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
I have a hookworm in the rear on my bike an I have bent my rim in several places and still have not had one pinch flat, Im even running a really thin cross country tube. :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the thing is sometimes our dj's get kinda muddy. will the holy roller actually do any better in the mud? that's the only reason i'm considering it over the hookworm. if it does do better is it a worthwile difference?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
PLURPIMPIN said:
the thing is sometimes our dj's get kinda muddy. will the holy roller actually do any better in the mud? that's the only reason i'm considering it over the hookworm. if it does do better is it a worthwile difference?
i considered the hookworms, but i wanted something that will preform on dirt and trails. the hookworm is a slick street tire not much more.
for my steelhead, i put the hollyroller in back and the blingbling up front. this combo is fast and sticky on steet, but hooks up in the dirt. i was suprised by the traction of the hollyroller in dirt, it holds pretty good. i thought for sure that the roller would be all over the place, but it sticks(devine intervention). the blingbling hooks up like a minion, but it's faster rolling with lower center knobs, good front tire.
neither one has the double ply of the hook, but if you're running 70 psi, pinchflats shouldn't be a problem. quit casing curbs and you'll be fine.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
holy roller/ k-rad

I was looking at hookworms for my hardtail, but after seeing what they weigh (nearly dh tire weight) I went w/ the holy rollers. They are pretty impressive, work well on everything from sk8pk to trail (so long as the trails aren't really loose). That bike got stolen, so now I'm running a wtb mutano up front w/ a k-rad in back. Pretty good combo. I think the holy roller grabbed a little better than the k-rad for trails, but they're pretty similar. I don't have trouble pinchflatting while trail riding with them, but that could just come down to riding style.
I have no idea how you're pinchflatting a tire at 70psi, unless you're riding up steps, or hanging up from 8' out of a halfpipe. The hookworm definitely has more sidewall integrity than the holy roller or k-rad, but it's gonna be one slippery mofo in anything wet/ muddy. maybe that's where the name really comes from? :p

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
get holyroller if yur doin dj's too. great 4 street, dirt (fast!) plus lighter than hookworms. Aaron chase and jeff lenosky ride holyrollers. i'd maybe say get hookworms 4 skatepark/street only, but 4 wut yur doin, holyrollers are a perfect match.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
i ride holy rollers and love them for just about everything. they hook up good on dirt and are fine wet or dry on pavement. they're nice and fast too. i havent ridden the hookworms though, they're kinda heavy and dont seem like they'd do so well when its wet or when your riding dirt.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I ride hookworms in just about everything. I've never lost traction once in the dirt.

A great tire that always manages to find traction are the Halo Twin Rails. Ultra-fast rolling, and awesome grip. I didn't even lose grip in a wet skate park.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I run Holy Rollers mostly, but if it's wet out and I'm riding dirt I'll throw on my Bling Blings. They're light and fast, I run 40psi in them and have never had a pinch flat with them.
But you also can't argue with TIMAAAAAYYYYYYYYY, Kiniption's are pretty rad as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
holy rollers great for pavement and packed dirt/clay.
Hookworm only hook up really good on asphalt

I like the holy rollers pretty versatile

·
Registered
24 Posts
K-rads for life

I've not tried the hookworms but they seem like a strictly park/street tire to me. The Kenda K-Rads are WAY more durable than the holyrollers which were my only choice for a while. They roll crazy fast and have tons of traction. I've even taken them on the trails in a pinch and they actually work pretty good until you hit sand or pine straw. The best part though is the incredibly smooth profile. You can rail turns on them. I with I could find a knobby with a profile that round.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts