Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a New Englander working in Carlisle Pa next week. I was considering a break out to Jim Thorpe, but that is 2 hours away. I will ship a bike if that is best, but would like to rent/demo for my own ease.

Anyone who can suggest prime tech/challenging riding in the 1.5 to 3 hr range closer to Carlisle/Harrisburg and also a convenient demo bike shop is my new best friend.

thanks a million for any offerings

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I do know there is good riding in that area though I personally can't recommend any specific place. I suggest you post your question here http://www.yamba.org. I'm sure somebody there can help you.

You can try Bushey's Cycle (717) 774-7071 for rentals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Luck on a rental

Don't know of any shops in the area that rent MTB's. I would bring my own.

Lots of good riding in Michaux State forest, just about half an hour South from Carlisle. Also the Rattling Creek area near Lykens. It's North of harrisburg and about 1 hour from Carlisle.

www.rcst1.org

Good luck.

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
ride michaux!

Michaux has some of the best trails in PA. And it's less than 30 minutes from Carlisle. You can download and print maps from last sundays race at gettysburg bicycle. Very technical trails with some very long climbs and dh's.

I'm not sure where to get a bike rental though.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just what I was looking for

Thanks for all the valuable tips.

I'd love to break away to Jim Thorpe, but that is 4 1/2 hrs of round trip driving time.

I'll follow up on your tips of trails that are within an hour and on demo shops in Gettysburg.

With that settled, now I just have to figure out how to escape from the project.

thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
Thanks for all the valuable tips.

I'd love to break away to Jim Thorpe, but that is 4 1/2 hrs of round trip driving time.

I'll follow up on your tips of trails that are within an hour and on demo shops in Gettysburg.

With that settled, now I just have to figure out how to escape from the project.

thanks again
Michaux is better than Jim Thorpe, so don't sweat it. What are the dates of your trip? I'll probably be riding Michaux on Monday the 2nd, and could show you around.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, Michaux

Thanks for the touring offer. I know I won't be free on Mon since I will be arriving mid morn.
I have heard enough good things about Michaux to focus on there. I now need some orientation tips. Are trails marked in any way? Access to maps? Trails indicated/graded as to easy rail trail or techy downhills? Where to enter and park? Also suitable demos in the area? Gettysburg bike rents 'comfort bikes'. I still may have to box up my own bike if I can find nothing suitable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.