Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

6301 - 6320 of 6350 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a rigid Kona Wozo which is very similar to the Honzo Geo wise that I run with a -2 Angleset and 29x2.6 tires. It’s very capable and a great second bike to my Vassago Radimus Ti with a 140mm fork. I vote for you to keep it and do the same. Angleset and rigid. View attachment 1917309
Wow that looks the bizness! Really cool setup. Which gear ratio are you running?

+1 on keeping the ti @gubbinalia

!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Right now 32x19. I have a set of 26x4.6 tires that I’ll use to ride on the beach and snow during the winter months too. It’s a very versatile machine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Right now 32x19. I have a set of 26x4.6 tires that I’ll use to ride on the beach and snow during the winter months too. It’s a very versatile machine. View attachment 1917312
That is quite the scenery, nice!
Yes that seems to be a truly amazing bike. Such a shame it didn't get enough love and was discontinued.
32x19 is a decent ratio, respect. Are you running an oval front ring, or round?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Round. I’ve used an oval but I prefer a round ring.
thanks for the quick reply. i had the opposite experience, i run ovals on my geared and single speed mtbs, combined with flat pedals i have the feeling that they provide an advantage traction and fatigue wise.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm in no huge hurry to sell it -- just seems like a shame for it to hang in my garage instead of getting used and appreciated. The other option would be to build it up full-rigid and keep it as more of a "skills-improver"/play-around bike rather than a techy trail ripper. I haven't owned a rigid MTB in over a decade but since the new Whisky and Enve forks came out that can handle a longer ATC measurement to match a 120mm fork, I've been interested in that option to put the Honzo to good use. But that also feels kind of sacrilegious when the bike rides so well with a 130mm fork and longer-stroke dropper post...
Did you run the Ti with B+ wheels as well? It fits 27.5x2.8 DHFs on Praxis AL32 rim without any issues. Combined with a -2° angleset this might set it apart from the ESD sufficiently to justify its place in the garage :)

·
mosstrooper
173 Posts
I have a rigid Kona Wozo which is very similar to the Honzo Geo wise that I run with a -2 Angleset and 29x2.6 tires. It’s very capable and a great second bike to my Vassago Radimus Ti with a 140mm fork. I vote for you to keep it and do the same. Angleset and rigid.
Nice Wozo! I'm with you on thinking rigid with 29x2.6 would be super fun -- my last full rigid bike had 26x2.1 so the additional tire suspension would be significant. I'm not totally sold on angle sets as a whole; I may just have bad luck with them, or maybe I'm yarding on my bars too much while singlespeeding, but I've never had an angle set that lasted more than a month or so on any bike. Either too much creaking, preload issues, or bearings getting shot. Plus, if I set up the Honzo as a rigid bike I'm not sure I need it to be a ton slacker. The 68.5* HTA with a rigid fork at 490mm-ish (suspension corrected for 120mm) is about what I'd need for full rigid riding around here. There are definitely a few trail systems nearby where I'd make good use of it, though!

·
mosstrooper
173 Posts
Did you run the Ti with B+ wheels as well? It fits 27.5x2.8 DHFs on Praxis AL32 rim without any issues. Combined with a -2° angleset this might set it apart from the ESD sufficiently to justify its place in the garage :)
That's good to know! No, I've never run the Honzo with anything other than a standard 2.2-2.3" Maxxis tire in the rear. I think it can clear 29x2.5-2.6 on a 30mm iD rim, which would be my preference over going to 27.5+. I used to ride that wheel size a TON in 2016-18 (I think at one point I had three bikes in my stable with that wheelsize), but I went pretty hard away from it when I started getting back into racing of all sorts and haven't really looked back from 29. Would be fun to build up a new 27.5+ wheelset, though... I still have flashbacks about how incredible the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x2.8 was for wet, rooty, technical off-cambers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice Wozo! I'm with you on thinking rigid with 29x2.6 would be super fun -- my last full rigid bike had 26x2.1 so the additional tire suspension would be significant. I'm not totally sold on angle sets as a whole; I may just have bad luck with them, or maybe I'm yarding on my bars too much while singlespeeding, but I've never had an angle set that lasted more than a month or so on any bike. Either too much creaking, preload issues, or bearings getting shot. Plus, if I set up the Honzo as a rigid bike I'm not sure I need it to be a ton slacker. The 68.5* HTA with a rigid fork at 490mm-ish (suspension corrected for 120mm) is about what I'd need for full rigid riding around here. There are definitely a few trail systems nearby where I'd make good use of it, though!
Have you tried the Works? It’s been flawless so far and I wrench up some serious walls without issue. All of our climbs are pretty short but very steep.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I should also mention that I’m running Vittoria Airliners front and rear. It definitely makes things even more comfortable. My fork is a Waltworks custom at 512mm to mimic a 120mm suspension fork sagged.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's good to know! No, I've never run the Honzo with anything other than a standard 2.2-2.3" Maxxis tire in the rear. I think it can clear 29x2.5-2.6 on a 30mm iD rim, which would be my preference over going to 27.5+. I used to ride that wheel size a TON in 2016-18 (I think at one point I had three bikes in my stable with that wheelsize), but I went pretty hard away from it when I started getting back into racing of all sorts and haven't really looked back from 29. Would be fun to build up a new 27.5+ wheelset, though... I still have flashbacks about how incredible the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x2.8 was for wet, rooty, technical off-cambers.
Yes, my 29er wheelset for the Honzo Ti is built with WTB Asym i29 rims and Minions DHF/DHR2 29x26", and they fit very well:

I've "evolved" from a 2.3" high roller 2 on an i23 rim, to a 2.5" WT DHF and now the 2.6" DHR2 on the i29 rim, and as mentioned have also ridden it with the 27.5x2.8" DHFs for quite some time, even running it as a mullet for half a season. Mullet was fun on the downs but the seat angle got too slack for climbing. 27+ was good fun but less efficient than 29 (doh).
I think that 29x2.6 is really the best of all worlds. I rode it this winter on snowy trails, and was super impressed. FWIW I'm mounting the rear tire against the "recommended" direction, to improve climbing traction and reduce wear due to breaking. Also, quite a no brainer, a 3C compound is much more preferable to the 2C on both ends on a hardtail.
I'm curious what your final decision will be!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure where to post this question. I want to put a Works Angle Set on my 2020 Kona Honzo ST. I want to understand the compatibility of the different types of Angle sets. Can anyone explain it to me? Then once I get a 130 fork eventually I will get a picture up here!

·
Bnerd
1,016 Posts
Got out for my first ride of the year today!
I've had BIKE on the brain because of another bike build project finally coming together and I saw posts from a friend riding in the snow. I couldn't not ride my bike any more!

The biggest change in parts is a new wheelset and new inserts.
With the other bike build another wheelset was needed. I now have the Chromag BA30 wheels.
The inserts are the Tannus Armour tubeless setup. This will be my first try of these. Previously I had CushCore Pro inserts. The most obvious difference is how much lighter the wheels are with the Tannus inserts! I'll see if the protection and sidewall support is as good once trails start to clear.

I'm getting closer to owning a Chromag! Pretty much everything except the frame is Chromag!
I have a poor man's Chromag!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not sure where to post this question. I want to put a Works Angle Set on my 2020 Kona Honzo ST. I want to understand the compatibility of the different types of Angle sets. Can anyone explain it to me? Then once I get a 130 fork eventually I will get a picture up here!
Hi,
the compatilibility depends (1) on the diameter measurements and (2) on the length of your frame's head tube.

ad 1: afaik the Honzo's head tube has the measurements 44mm upper cup (zero stack), 56mm lower cup (zero stack), which means you'll have to choose one of those sets:

ad 2: on that page, you'll then have to select the model fitting to the headtube length of your frame, which depends on the frame size.

Which size is your frame?

Example:
Assuming your frame is size L, the headtube length according to Kona's website is 110 mm:

Assuming you want the 2 degree angleset, and you already have a fork with a tapered steerer (i.e. you dont need a reducer crown), you should select the angleset for that size:

Note: the "EC44" means that with the angle set, the upper cup will become "external". Currently, your upper cup is internal, i.e. inside of the head tube. With the angleset, it will have to move above the head tube, because the bearings are eccentric, and would not fit inside the head tube anymore.
The lower cup stays "ZS56" which means zero stack, i.e. it remains inside the head tube, even though it is eccentric.
This is niceley shown on their website: https://23.cdn.ekm.net/ekmps/shops/...suit-tapered-steerer-tube-[2]-945-1-p.png?v=1

@RideEverything maybe you can confirm that what I wrote is not complete garbage? Thanks!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
PS: note that the required fork steerer length increases, because the upper cup moves outside of the head tube. Reckon an additional 1cm give or take

·
Registered
528 Posts
Got out for my first ride of the year today!
I've had BIKE on the brain because of another bike build project finally coming together and I saw posts from a friend riding in the snow. I couldn't not ride my bike any more!

The biggest change in parts is a new wheelset and new inserts.
With the other bike build another wheelset was needed. I now have the Chromag BA30 wheels.
The inserts are the Tannus Armour tubeless setup. This will be my first try of these. Previously I had CushCore Pro inserts. The most obvious difference is how much lighter the wheels are with the Tannus inserts! I'll see if the protection and sidewall support is as good once trails start to clear.

I'm getting closer to owning a Chromag! Pretty much everything except the frame is Chromag!
I have a poor man's Chromag!

that looks great! Curious to hear your experiences with the new inserts.
what it that other project you're building?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just purchased my 3rd (er 4th) honzo frame. 2021 DL, XL (2012, 2017 carbon (stolen), and 2018 steel). So happy they started selling the alloy as frame only.

I'll be replacing my 2018 steel, slightly slacker will be appreciated I'm thinking. Look forward to comparing the two. Not looking forward to the steep ST, but I'll live with it I guess. Or buy a setback dropper for XC racing.

I have a bag of rivnuts, any opinions on adding a bunch for bikepacking? Yes, I know it will void the warranty, but I also want to strip the paint which I imagine will as well.

·
Bnerd
1,016 Posts
that looks great! Curious to hear your experiences with the new inserts.
what it that other project you're building?
Thanks!
Yeah, I'm curious myself to see how the Tannus compare to the CushCore.
I've been running Plus tires since last Fall and I'm really liking them. Maybe it's just my confirmation bias but I believe that HTs are the best application for Plus tires.

I've just built up a GeoMetrom G1! Size GIGANTIC!!
XXLongest in real world sizing.
I finally sourced that last parts I needed, a pair of Code RSC levers to swap out on the Code R's I have.
I've been collecting parts for about a year in preparation for the build. It's definitely been challenging to source some parts because of all the production and shipping slowdowns from Corona.

To your angleset info it all looks good to me. The Works site was good with info and what to pick as long as you know what your head tube sizing is.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks!
Yeah, I'm curious myself to see how the Tannus compare to the CushCore.
I've been running Plus tires since last Fall and I'm really liking them. Maybe it's just my confirmation bias but I believe that HTs are the best application for Plus tires.

I've just built up a GeoMetrom G1! Size GIGANTIC!!
XXLongest in real world sizing.
I finally sourced that last parts I needed, a pair of Code RSC levers to swap out on the Code R's I have.
I've been collecting parts for about a year in preparation for the build. It's definitely been challenging to source some parts because of all the production and shipping slowdowns from Corona.

To your angleset info it all looks good to me. The Works site was good with info and what to pick as long as you know what your head tube sizing is.
wow, that is really an interesting project. only good things to read about the geometron. looking forward to pics and impressions!
i'm on the same page as you with regards to the tire size question. 29x2.6 seems to be the best for my riding style. IIRC you did try a 29x3.0 even, but were not too happy with it, right?
thanks for the confirmation - you're also running a work set with -2°, right?
cheers!

6301 - 6320 of 6350 Posts