Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

581 - 600 of 6312 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm considering a small Honzo, but Kona's geo chart states 31.5 inches which seems higher than most other 29er frames in a small/16" size. I noticed from Kona's geo diagram they measure a few inches in front of the BB rather than directly over the BB. Does this explain why it's about 1-2" more than "normal"? Can someone verify on their Honzo build, if the SO is accurate and how much less the measurement is if taken directly over the BB? I probably shouldn't worry too much about SO, if all other measurements look good, but it still has me slightly nervous nonetheless.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I could be wrong though, XX1 is too new for a lot of this info to be out yet.
See here for some people running the xx1 as ss:
forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/sram-xx1-crankset-ss-823355.html#post10158753 (put the http in front, I'm not allowed to post links yet)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
First obstacle: I can't figure out what type of crank is needed for this bike? For example, the SRAM XX1 front crankset is sold as GXP or as BB30, but I can't find out what the Honzo needs?
Have you thought about buying a complete bike and just converting it to single speed? You would need a cog, spacers and a chain. Everything else on the bike will work fine as a single speed. You can keep all the geared bits if you decide to run gears in the future.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger. My Honzo frame is on the way! The thing I'm looking for most in a frame is to be bomb proof.. So far I haven't found a frame that I can ride for a year without breaking. I've broken 4 frames in the past three years. A monocog, a Jabberwocky and two Mariachi's.

Hope the Honzo is up to the challenge.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,466 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger. My Honzo frame is on the way! The thing I'm looking for most in a frame is to be bomb proof.. So far I haven't found a frame that I can ride for a year without breaking. I've broken 4 frames in the past three years. A monocog, a Jabberwocky and two Mariachi's.

Hope the Honzo is up to the challenge.
Let us know how it goes.

--sParty

·
Registered
379 Posts
Have you thought about buying a complete bike and just converting it to single speed? You would need a cog, spacers and a chain. Everything else on the bike will work fine as a single speed. You can keep all the geared bits if you decide to run gears in the future.
Yes I thought about it but various reasons made me order the frame:
* I can easily let it be powdercoated to get rid of the hideous decals and put a nice color on it
* I learn how a bike is put together so I can fix stuff myself instead of going to the lbs for every creak
* I can profit from sales on the individual parts
* If I put an xx1 chainring on it, and I would decide to ride geared after all, I don't have to install a chainguide
* Just the fun of researching all the parts and putting it together

The frame already arrived at the lbs, and yesterday I ordered the xx1 crankset for a good price, the surly spacer kit + cog (18t). Would like an mrp bling ring, but so far haven't found a shop in Europe that sells them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I picked up a barely used 2013 Honzo from the classifieds two weeks ago. Stock build for now. Changes will be convert to tubeless, adjustable seat post (still deciding which one), and replace X.7 shifter with X.9 (I hate the vagueness of the X.7). Only one ride on it so far but it feels awesome. I had a 2010 Kona Unit before and couldn't stand the XC geometry any more, but the Honzo feels just about perfect.

Here is a picture from the night I built it up:

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,466 Posts
You should pop the spacer out from the Revelation and take it to 140mm. And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
The 2013 Rev forks aren't as simple to change travel as the '12s. Have to purchase a new part from what SRAM rep tells me. I was in a hurry so just swapped my OEM '13 120mm Rev for a '12 Dual Position 140mm Rev, tho I think I would have preferred the '13's solo air circuit. I don't use the dual position.

Anyway I agree 140mm is the way to go, travelwise.

--sParty

·
Registered
639 Posts
I picked up a barely used 2013 Honzo from the classifieds two weeks ago. Stock build for now. Changes will be convert to tubeless, adjustable seat post (still deciding which one), and replace X.7 shifter with X.9 (I hate the vagueness of the X.7). Only one ride on it so far but it feels awesome. I had a 2010 Kona Unit before and couldn't stand the XC geometry any more, but the Honzo feels just about perfect.

Here is a picture from the night I built it up:

What size frame is your bike, how tall are you and how does it fit you? I'm around 5 10" but heard that the bike fits a bit bigger due to the longer front center so wouldn't know if a 16 or an 18 would work.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Since I liked my Revelation so much, I decided to pick up the XX version and a new headset to go with it :thumbsup: No pictures yet as I'm still waiting on the lower cup but I'm looking forward to how this beast rips with 140mm up front.
Also on the list is a Reverb dropper post, the 12x142 dropouts and corresponding Hope axle kit; I have a line for a good deals on all of them.
Mind if I ask where you're sourcing the 142x12 dropouts? I've got a new Explosif frameset with the 135mm dropouts, and converting my Ringle 142mm hub to 135mm isn't going to be cheap.

And if anyone wants to swap your 142's for my 135's...

·
Registered
720 Posts
And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
I initially preferred the '12 blue color, and looked around for a while to no avail. But the gold color is growing on me, I do like it now.

What size frame is your bike, how tall are you and how does it fit you? I'm around 5 10" but heard that the bike fits a bit bigger due to the longer front center so wouldn't know if a 16 or an 18 would work.
I got a large frame. I am about 6' 1/2" tall. I would say it fits me perfectly. I also test rode a medium frame, which definitely felt a bit small - too short of reach for me. At 5' 10", I think a medium would fit you well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm going through the Kona dealer in town, although they've been somewhat phone shy. Granted I only paid $30 CAD for the dropouts but still.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I couldn't find anything on the Kona site about recommended size for rider hight. I ordered a medium (I'm 6') because the ETT and reach is a little longer than the frames I've been riding. But I see a
Lot of 6' people that are getting the large.

Any 6' guys riding mediums??

·
Registered
469 Posts
I couldn't find anything on the Kona site about recommended size for rider hight. I ordered a medium (I'm 6') because the ETT and reach is a little longer than the frames I've been riding. But I see a
Lot of 6' people that are getting the large.

Any 6' guys riding mediums??
I am in the same boat. The specs on the Medium look to match what I would want, but sometimes bikes will fit larger or smaller than the specs on paper.

I am 6' tall and currently riding a TransAM 26er with 650b wheels. 24.2 ETT, 44.2 wheelbase, something like 68.5/73 angles. I ride it with a 50mm stem and I know I don't want a bike that is any longer than the TA. I like the setup, but the BB is something like 13.1 with the bigger wheels, so it doesn't turn that well.

Very interested to hear how the Medium Honzo fits.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
No wonder I hated the fit of my 26er TransAM, mine was setup with a 50mm stem as well, 780mm bars, and I was always felt cramped and OTB on it being 6'4". But the only advice I can give to you guys is the Honzo rides smaller than ETT leads you to believe (at least IMO). I was hesitant about going with a 26" ETT but I'm sure glad I did. I also had the Large frame (20" regular) at the house before but never built it up to see how it rides, it looked short in the ETT, especially if you plan on running short stems on this bike as it was designed to do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
@Eurospek
I'm 6'5" and got the 20L (XL in europe) frame, since you are almost as tall as me and also have the honzo, which stem length would you recommend?

581 - 600 of 6312 Posts