Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

501 - 520 of 6312 Posts

·
PVGNA PRO PATRIA
161 Posts
I just had my frame powder coated as well; a double coat of flat black. Do you have a line on frame decals by chance? I am waiting on "Joe" to get back with me from Kona on the availability of a factory set.

BTW, did you PC just for the color or was it to replace the crappy factory paint like I had to do?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
BTW, did you PC just for the color or was it to replace the crappy factory paint like I had to do?
Mainly just wanted a different color, plus my local PC shop's price was very reasonable.

I hit some issues with mine, pressing in a king i7 headset. Head tube was undersized, plus I botched the install. Ended up sending the headset back to King, and getting the frame faced & reamed (although there was no paint inside the headtube). If you plan to use the same headset, should be OK, but if you're switching headsets after paint I would recommend locating an LBS with a 44mm reamer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just had my frame powder coated as well; a double coat of flat black. Do you have a line on frame decals by chance? I am waiting on "Joe" to get back with me from Kona on the availability of a factory set.

I'd like to see that!

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Any suggestions on the proper headset assembly for a tapered steerer on the 2013 frame?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
It's been covered so many times. :crazy:

Cane Creek 40

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Upper Assembly

Cane Creek 110
Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110-Series ZS44 1 1/8" Upper Assembly

Chris King Inset7
Universal Cycles -- Chris King Griplock InSet 7 Tapered Headset

Nukerproof
Nukeproof Warhead 44IETS Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have a CC40 and would definitely buy it again, anything above that is just bike bling.

There's also a Hope headset that fits, its lower cup is huge and most likely will have to be special ordered via LBS from Hope UK directly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, so I've already seen this thread- http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/switched-out-my-paradox-honzo-yeah-781304-2.html - so I have an idea of what the 16" looks like built up and with an approx. 5'8" person on top of it.

Problem is: it looks small to me any more. I thought I'd settled in on 29ers with ~23" effective top tube length with about a 90mm stem, but since Kona is measuring all their dimensions off of a topped out fork, forgive me for being skeptical that the 16" Honzo will actually ever hit that number when you ride it irl (or, heaven forfend, tune the fork down to a slightly lower travel setting). Seems it would be a bit shorter, both horizontally and vertically.

So here's my question to you all. Is anyone 5'8" riding the Medium Honzo, or have you all just gone for the Small? I'm just a smidgen over that height and have longer legs - my current bike has a bit more than 32" standover topped out - and was planning on building one up from a frame.

*Edit for typo*

·
Registered
147 Posts
90mm stem has no place on a frame like Honzo. Anyway, go for S with very short stem and live happily ever after. You're 5'8", so unless you can scratch your feet with your hands without bending over (and considering the intended purpose of the bike like Honzo), 24" effective TT is too long for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wait a sec, my foot's itchy...

I guess I'm too hung up on the look. The front center of the medium frame is *clearly* too large for me. Herp derp.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Hey p4nh4ndle
Same height range, I had a year+ on a medium Canfield Yelli Screamy (listed as 23.75 ETT) and it fit awesome. Comparing to the 16" Honzo Geometry is very interesting; the 16" Honzo actually has a longer wheelbase despite having a shorter top tube and shorter chainstays. How does this happen? It's all the seat angle. To get the chainstays so short, Kona steepened the seat angle to make clearance for the rear wheel, which makes the effective TT shorter. Run a layback seatpost (or get out of the saddle) and you get that top tube length back.

The head tube and seat tube are also shorter, which is really just aesthetics- assuming you have a long enough seat post- 350mm minimum!

Playdead's also in our size range and likes his small. :cornut:

Caveat...it's still a compact fit, some our height will prefer the 18".

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ok, so I've already seen this thread- http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/switched-out-my-paradox-honzo-yeah-781304-2.html - so I have an idea of what the 16" looks like built up and with an approx. 5'8" person on top of it.

Problem is: it looks small to me any more. I thought I'd settled in on 29ers with ~23" effective top tube length with about a 90mm stem, but since Kona is measuring all their dimensions off of a topped out fork, forgive me for being skeptical that the 16" Honzo will actually ever hit that number when you ride it irl (or, heaven forfend, tune the fork down to a slightly lower travel setting). Seems it would be a bit shorter, both horizontally and vertically.

So here's my question to you all. Is anyone 5'8" riding the Medium Honzo, or have you all just gone for the Small? I'm just a smidgen over that height and have longer legs - my current bike has a bit more than 32" standover topped out - and was planning on building one up from a frame.

*Edit for typo*
Are you going to be running a 140 or 120 mm fork?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,466 Posts
I was planning on a 120: probably a reba. We're not too too aggressive here in SW PA.
Don't make the wrong mistake. 140mm fork is the way to go, IMO. Regardless of terrain. HTA = sweet! And then you do a red rocks road trip! :thumbsup:

--sParty

501 - 520 of 6312 Posts