Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going off to college and have a 2006 Giant Yukon. I know that an mountian bike might look expensive sitting on a campus bike rack and that bike theft is rampant on college campuses, plus it's in Atlanta. I was wondering what is the best way to 100% secure that bike to a rack. I'm willing to cover the bike in chains if necessary. I hear that using several U-locks and a chain might work, but I would like to know what you all use to secure your hogs down.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I Pickle They said:
I'm going off to college and have a 2006 Giant Yukon. I know that an mountian bike might look expensive sitting on a campus bike rack and that bike theft is rampant on college campuses, plus it's in Atlanta. I was wondering what is the best way to 100% secure that bike to a rack. I'm willing to cover the bike in chains if necessary. I hear that using several U-locks and a chain might work, but I would like to know what you all use to secure your hogs down.
A popular suggestion will be to get a campus beater bike. You don't need to worry as much.

As for locking it... Use locks that are big and heavy. You want to be sure to have each wheel locked, to the frame or rack, and of course, the frame locked to the rack. I reccomend replacing your quick release that clamps your seatpost to a non-quick release collar.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
snaky69 said:
Weren't there skewers on which you could remove the level so that you can't use the quick release? I think it's an anti-theft device.
Yep, and I use them in place of a true bolt on axle. Delta makes some, and you can find some Nashbar brand (I don't know the real manufacturer) at their site for like $5 a set.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ditto on getting a beater bike for campus. You can get a new one at WallyWorld for less than some serious locks on the market. If you insist on taking your Yukon, think about making it look like a beater, like slathering it with watercolor paint, and maybe some painter's tape and extra cable ties to give it that nice "glued together" look. BTW, it's not at all uncommon for folks to do stupid things like steal seats (esp ones with QR) just for kicks.

I used to lock my bike on campus occasionally, but it had a few advantages over yours...it didn't have disc brakes to catch anyone's attention, the frame's an ugly, scratched purple powder coat, and the typical campus pedestrian wouldn't recognize XTR from a hunk of plastic. Oh, and I left a layer of mud on non-critical parts. Make it run nice and look ugly. A few Huffy stickers wouldn't hurt either. :p

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Bike thieves steal bikes, mostly...

I agree with the guys who advocate a cheap bike for the campus racks. With a little ingenuity you can sneak your Giant into your room. Buy an Egg Plant, or a large record collection to hide it behind.
If you really have to tie your bike up, get something big and fat for the frame and rear wheel and something a little smaller for the front and fork. I don't know what components you use but a $150 disc brake can be removed, disc and all, in under five minutes. Pedals, cranks, $30 chain, bars, stem...if you self-build or upgrade/replace parts, you know how long it takes to swap them, and how much each costs to replace.

I was walking through the city a week ago and saw a guy trying to remove a bike lock with bolt cutters. I asked him why he was doing it and it turned out to be his bike, the combi lock had busted and was left with the only solution to get his bike back. After some careful questioning, and inspecting the dodgy lock, I set about helping him with his task. Anyways, his cutters were a piece of cr*p so it took us maybe 15 minutes to get the lock off. Not one single person in the busy city centre asked what we were doing, not a one.

So, whatever your bike, lock it and lock it well; there may not be anyone else watching out for it...

Peace, Steve.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My cousin rides a walmart bike around campus at USC... in the past year the front wheel was stolen as well as his seat later on. People will target anything to steal. Check out some garage sales and buy a crappy mixte, cruiser or something for $10 (or a couple bikes) with no quick release.

Get an OnGuard U-lock for $40 or so (if a professional bike thief wants your bike they'll cut through anything) and a combo lock to tie down the front wheel/helmet.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I live near the University campus... I've seen even the lowest end bikes get their parts jacked. The best insurance is to never leave it after dark and never leave it any place where it can't be easily seen by many people passing by. Never leave it overnight. Between classes may be okay. But it would probably be best to just buy a cheapo singlespeed frame from Jenson or Performance or something and build it with cheap parts to get around on. If it doesn't have labels it will blend in with everyone else's Roadmasters.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Jim311 said:
I live near the University campus... I've seen even the lowest end bikes get their parts jacked. The best insurance is to never leave it after dark and never leave it any place where it can't be easily seen by many people passing by. Never leave it overnight. Between classes may be okay. But it would probably be best to just buy a cheapo singlespeed frame from Jenson or Performance or something and build it with cheap parts to get around on. If it doesn't have labels it will blend in with everyone else's Roadmasters.
This is pretty good advice, as is the post right above this one. I went to school at Davis for 4 years (estimated 20, 000 bikes a day on campus). I actually rode a pretty nice road bike every day, and the only things I lost were 2 water bottles and a tool bag with my spare, tire levers, and patch kit.

I used a U lock and 6 foot cable. The U lock went through frame and back wheel, and the cable attached to the U lock and went through front wheel and bike rack. I'd park in front of my class buildings, park with other bikes, and generally move the bike between classes. I never left it on campus overnight, even if it meant riding home in the rain. At home, the bike was always in the house or condo, not garage.

There were lots of bike thefts there. Most were overnight and outside. Very few involved cut locks. The locked bikes that were stolen tended to be the ones where the bike wasn't locked to anything or the owner had just locked a wheel to something, and everything but the wheel was stolen.

Any bike can be stolen, any lock defeated. Like the saying goes, you don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the other guy in the water :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jim311 said:
I live near the University campus... I've seen even the lowest end bikes get their parts jacked.
This is very true. Ever seen a police bike auction? Virtually all the bikes are crap, sometimes barely holding themselves together. Having a cheap bike isn't any assurance it's less likely to get stolen, it just puts a lot less at risk. Still, it helps to look like you're bikes harder to steal, but harder to get loose.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
They steal um for $$$$$

And if they want the bike bad enough nothings going to stop um..

Another option is to tone the bikes appearance down so no one take notice of it. So far it works in SF.

G

·
bhutata said:
This is very true. Ever seen a police bike auction? Virtually all the bikes are crap, sometimes barely holding themselves together. Having a cheap bike isn't any assurance it's less likely to get stolen, it just puts a lot less at risk. Still, it helps to look like you're bikes harder to steal, but harder to get loose.
that's because the boys in blue get the pick of the litter before the auction. :shocked:

that said, read all the other posts here and take everyone's advice--lock your ride securely and ride a schlappo wagon that not even the most depraved meth junkie will want.

one more thing, when you leave the bike, lock it in the hardest-to-pedal gear so if you do have the luck of catching some slimy f*ck in the act of stealing your ride, they'll have to grind along in the big ring while you're sprinting towards them.

good luck!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I kept my 2 nice bikes in my dorm room (1 for road training, 1 for mtn. racing). I left another campus bike tied up outside.

My campus bike was my ex-race bike '00 Fuji Nevada Frame, LX all around, looked rough but still worth some $. I used a u-lock through the frame and rear wheel and a cable lock through the front and it never got touched.

Last spring I decided to just bring up one of my cheap steel single-speed road bikes and just used a cable lock, even with just a cable lock nobody touched it.

If you have the option I would suggest taking it into your room at night, or at least take the front wheel and seatpost with you and lock up the rest.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Seriously, i'd get another bike. A total pos camper beater. Heck, maybe even a skate board, just to not worry about theft.

Why steal a bike that's got a Kryptonite lock, 5 heavy chains and locks, super-duper safe "quick" releases when you can just steal the whole friggin' car? Your eyes open now? :eekster:

I don't know what you drive, but if it has a TRUNK ..... outta sight, outta mind. :thumbsup: And it's a lot cheaper, too. ;) Racks, accessories, locks, do-dads and stuff ..... hey, look at THAT - you could have bought that beater bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My security for my Cannondale bike while in college was... Keep it in my dorm room (and later apartment).

No way, leave it outside.

In the dorm room, I elevated my bed with cinder blocks... then I had enough room to slide my bike and dirty clothes hamper underneath the bed. Later, I had my own bunk bedded dorm room. I kept my bike on the top bunk.

At my apartment, I kept it in the other closet. I've even seen people put hooks in their apartment ceilings and suspend the bike.

Leaving a bike outside.... I've seen left overs of people taking baseball bats to bicycles on bike racks during the night hours. Vandelism and theft will leave you with a broken heart.

My 2 cents.

-S6

PS: Carrying your bike to your dorm room is not uncommon at all. It can/might/may be annoying sometimes lifting it up the stairs and down the hall... But you'll pride yourself with your bike. About 10 people in my wing did the exact same thing. (I actually started doing it when I saw someone else do it).

You might also have a roommate... If you raise your beds elevation though... It will be out of the way and on your half of the room! =)

·
Registered
658 Posts
snaky69 said:
Buy a wal-mart bike to tie down on that rack, and keep the yukon for real riding.
Yes I saw a nice 1-1'2 FSR 40 pound bike for only 60 bucks! Plus when you move you can give it to your roommates or some cute girl. Either that or loan it to your friend and go mountian biking and boost your ego!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had my beater target bike stolen towards the ends of my semester. basically i had it for 3 months and it was gone. i never really remember where i put it. i backtracked the whole campus and couldnt find it lol. i thought i left it at the gym, my classes, but nada. only used a single chain type lock. it was a magna bike, i think i paid $80 or so, but looks shiny,expensive, and new. probably why it got stolen. needless to say i decided to walk there on out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.