Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why Shimano discontinued the Hone Series? I see some internet retailers have the Rear Derailer for $10 - 20. But you need that funky rear hub to use it, Right???
They still show it on their website. But I heard it is no longer available.
Has anyone had any experience with this series???

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Most likely Hone simply didn't sell. It was marketed as a less expensive version of Saint. Truth be told the concept of fitting the derailleur to the axle didn't really offer that much of an advantage... Heavier and sturdier, yes. But I smashed more than one Saint derailleur to death. The new shadow design is way better as it avoids at least some of the hits.

Now, having said this: Hone mounts to the rear axle. To make it work you need a through axle hub and frame. Through axles come in 12mm and 10mm. Hone only works with 10mm. Or at least you need an axle that has a 10mm thread at one end to fit the Hone nut.

I am pretty sure a bike shop could get you the axle. But I wouldn't go that direction unless you already have a through axle rear wheel and frame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, so does that mean that companies other Shimano have attached the Rear D to the axle??
And from your last sentance; am I to understand that you need a special frame for the Thru-axle setup??

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
Oh, so does that mean that companies other Shimano have attached the Rear D to the axle??
And from your last sentance; am I to understand that you need a special frame for the Thru-axle setup??
Shimano gave up on the concept of fitting the rear derailleur to the axle. Other companies never adopted the concept in the first place.

Yes, you might need a specific frame for the Hone. The derailleur needs a grove under the axle to hook into. The hook in the grove prevents the derailleur from rotating. Think of it this way: Threading into the axle allows the derailleur to rotate around the axle. The nose sitting in that grove prevents that. Now, the nose might hook into the drop outs, if the drop outs are deep enough. You might be able to hook the derailleur into your hanger - but I've never tried that either.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../RD/EV-RD-M601-2603_v1_m56577569830609151.pdf

shows a Hone. You can see the nose on the version for the BMX (horizontal) drop outs. Part 3. Not sure where the nose is for the standard drop out. The table claims it would be the same part as for a Saint (MD800). If this is the case: The nose it right under the axle.

Your frame should be able to accept a 10mm axle if you run a QR setup now. So if you want to try the Hone you'd need:

- rear wheel with a 10mm x 135mm through axle hub
- a 10mm through axle

Let me know if you try it - and if it works. I personally would shop a bit for a Deore or LX derailleur. Less hassle and probably same cost (consider the additional cost for axle and hub/wheel).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.