Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between a Hone crankset and the LX version. I realize they're the same exact cranks, but dig the steath black of the Hone. Does anybody have a set of these?

I'm wondering how well the black ano finish holds up in nasty conditions. If its gonna rub off in a few weeks like some of my past Shimano black stuff, I'll just stick with the silver LX. Cheers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
whatever you do dont go with the LX cranks i bent to b#tches super easy, i went to the saint cranks and absolutely love then they are sooooo stiff. i dont know about the hones. look on ebay and someone will have a really good deal on a crankset.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
"whatever you do dont go with the LX cranks i bent to b#tches super easy, i went to the saint cranks and absolutely love then they are sooooo stiff. i dont know about the hones. look on ebay and someone will have a really good deal on a crankset."

Are you running the o5 LX cranks that were redesigned with the external BB? Or oldstyle octalink bb? LX and Hone groupsets are identical, except for the rear derailleur. The Hone bolts onto the axle, while the LX is normal. Oh, and the Hone brakes have larger rotors.

All Shimano finishes wear off rather easily. You should be more concerned with performance rather than aesthetics. If you really care, you can take the pedals off, cut a section of an old innertube, and stretch it over the crank arms. Zip tie the ends, and put your pedals back on. It'll protect the finish, and when you want to show off your cranks, you can just take it off.

Oh... Saint cranks are going for like 120 on eBay right now. Might as well just get one of those. A tad heavy, but supar burly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.